Note to self - avoid Harbor Freight tools.....

31 Mar 2011 08:34 #1 by bailey bud
A rant to make myself feel better.

Note to Self: Don't buy tools from Harbor Freight.

While working on a project, the other week, I found a seriously rounded off screw.

I jumped online and ordered the Screw Extractor set from Harbor Freight.

I've used some Harbor Freight tools before (clamps), they weren't bad. They seemed to cost less than other sets (grizzly, local hardware, etc) I figured the project could be placed on hold for a week, while I waited delivery.

The set arrived yesterday - so I set up to work on the extraction.

Cheap, unreliable, and a waste of time and money (the drill bit broke)

If I was in Denver I would have gone to their store to check the extractor set out. (likely would not have bought it)

If anyone has a good idea of where to buy a GOOD screw extractor and drill bit - let me know
(car parts store?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2011 09:03 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
So you are just now figuring this out?

Quality Costs $$$.

31 Mar 2011 10:04 #3 by Nobody that matters
Harbor Freight has it's place. Cheap crap for a cheap price. I needed a 4" grinder for one project. I bought one at HF for about $14. It did the job. That was about 10 years ago. It's still going (although it's noisy). I've since found out what usefull tools they really are and my next one will be a quality brand.

I don't order online though. I go to the store at 88th and Sheridan.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

31 Mar 2011 10:13 #4 by HappyCamper
There is a Harbor Freight down by Southwest Plaza.

01 Apr 2011 09:50 #5 by pacamom
Tool King - right on 6th Ave in Lakewood. They have a website [url=http://www.toolking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.toolking.com[/url]

The store will honor the internet prices

Grizzly - website only unless you live in Washington, Pennsylvania or Missouri

[url=http://www.grizzly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.grizzly.com[/url]

Most of the stuff in my garage came from these two places.

01 Apr 2011 09:55 #6 by Nobody that matters

pacamom wrote: Tool King - right on 6th Ave in Lakewood. They have a website [url=http://www.toolking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.toolking.com[/url]

The store will honor the internet prices

I have to stay away from Tool King. the discount tables in the middle of the store always get me into trouble.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

02 Apr 2011 14:35 #7 by AlpineMike
Sears Craftsman brand has a good "semi-professional" line of tools that are affordable. All hand tools have a lifetime guarantee. OTC and KD tools are somewhat more professional and offer the same lifetime guarantee. If you want something like an extractor set that will really "work" and last, buy Snap-On. Very expensive but you will extract any rounded off bolt or screw.

02 Apr 2011 16:46 - 04 Apr 2011 08:31 #8 by kresspin
Sears Craftsman. Lifetime guarantee.

02 Apr 2011 17:38 #9 by Wily Fox aka Angela
my husband helped a friends' kid with his science project this year. He wanted to test "name brand professional" screw drivers against the "cheap ones". There were a few tests and one that he was most interested in was putting the screw drivers in a hydraulic press and seeing which broke first.

interestingly, the cheap Chinese knock offs (sold by places like Northern Tool) did the best. I'll see if I can get a hold of the study and publish it here.

04 Apr 2011 07:52 #10 by FredHayek
A lot of value depends on what you are using it. Since I hardly ever use tools, if it gets me though one project at little cost, that is usually good enough for me. If it is tools I use a lot like drill bits, then I will splurge for the good stuff.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds