Note to self - avoid Harbor Freight tools.....

04 Apr 2011 09:09 #11 by Grady

SS109 wrote: A lot of value depends on what you are using it. Since I hardly ever use tools, if it gets me though one project at little cost, that is usually good enough for me. If it is tools I use a lot like drill bits, then I will splurge for the good stuff.

exactly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Apr 2011 09:24 #12 by bailey bud
Minor problem with the Experiment design --- the test of a screwdriver isn't whether or not it breaks in a vice.

The test of a screwdriver is how well it drives a screw.

I suspect that a good Craftsman screwdriver would beat the knockoff in that comparison.

04 Apr 2011 10:40 #13 by RenegadeCJ
I've found Harbor Freight great for throwaway tools. One time use, or hand tools. If they break, who cares. Regarding an easy out, I'd suggest Snap On tools. Craftsman makes a good set as well, but snap on takes the cake (if you can find them).

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

04 Apr 2011 12:22 #14 by bailey bud
I walked down to the hardware store (we can do that in Durango) and picked up a Vermont American left-hand drill bit, and Irwin extractor.

Wishing I'd simply bought the whole Irwin set (kind of pricey) - but now appreciate the value of a decent drill bit.

I'm sure there's things in the Harbor Freight store that work just fine ---- but I'm done for now.

I could have ended up with a trashed tablesaw ---- just because I purchased a cheap drill bit to remove a rounded-out screw.

04 Apr 2011 15:19 #15 by Martin Ent Inc
Mac tools are just as good if not better than Snap on and less expensive. I have complete sets of both.

04 Apr 2011 16:11 #16 by bailey bud
Holy smokes - their cheap extractor set is $66!!!

I solved my problem with a $7 drill bit --- and a $8 extractor ($15 total).

04 Apr 2011 16:13 #17 by Martin Ent Inc
Good for you. :thumbsup:

04 Apr 2011 19:38 #18 by pacamom

RenegadeCJ wrote: I've found Harbor Freight great for throwaway tools. One time use, or hand tools. If they break, who cares. Regarding an easy out, I'd suggest Snap On tools. Craftsman makes a good set as well, but snap on takes the cake (if you can find them).

Let me know if you really want the name of a Snap on rep.

04 Apr 2011 19:41 #19 by Martin Ent Inc
Joe Shipp Snap on
Debbie Mac Tools

08 Apr 2011 01:43 #20 by AlpineMike

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Joe Shipp Snap on
Debbie Mac Tools

Both great! Joe is "THE MAN" for Snap-On Tools! Dustin Kierstein is the Cornwell man! I really like Cornwell tools and price for quality! If you want to spend to get the best, than Snap-On is the answer. If you want great tools that are professional quality, than buy Cornwell, MAC, KD, or Craftsman. This is my own opinion. I use the tools everyday and beat the hell out of them. The tools have been put to the test of heat, force, trauma, exposure, and relentless activity of my personal working nature.
Snap-On = 5 star
Cornwell = 4 star
Mac Tools= 4 star
Craftsman= 3.5 star
KD tools = 3.5 star
Husky Tools= 3 star
Harbor Freight = half of 1 star

Best For Budget Price = Craftsman
Craftsman offers a professional line that compares with great competition! Craftsman is not the best tool brand, yet it is the best tool brand for the buck.
If you want the job "done right", skip Harbor Freight and go to Sears first. It is worth "keeping" a tool rather than buy to throw out. I like Harbor Freight for shop items like cut-off wheels, sanding discs, jig blades, safety wear, electrical supplies, and auto accessories.

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds