Colorado oil shale

31 Mar 2011 10:31 #1 by Blazer Bob
Does anyone know if/where I can go to get a sample of Colorado oil shale. My brother in law would like me go get him a sample. Since he is a genius*, I would like to help if I can. Is there anywhere that it can be found on the surface or in a road cut?
TIA

*Really, "Quantum encryption is a very young field. The first public research into quantum encryption was conducted by Stephen Wiesner at Columbia University in New York during the early 1970s. His paper ‘Conjugate Coding’ was published in 1983 in SIGACT News. Wiesner’s paper had previously been rejected by IEEE Information Theory. This is indicative of the unusual nature of the field; Einstein referred to quantum entanglement – a principle used in quantum encryption – as "spooky action at a distance." The normal laws of physics do not apply in quantum relationships.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2011 10:45 #2 by Nobody that matters
I think it's only oil permeated under special conditions - if it reaches the surface, the oil would have long since escaped.

But, I'm not a geologist. I'm just gonna be surprised if it can be found without drilling for it.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

31 Mar 2011 10:51 #3 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Colorado oil shale
Drive north Loveland and beyond, if they will let you on site then you can probably get a sample, can't miss the rigs they are all over.
However if you don't know someone specific it may be hard to get on the site.

31 Mar 2011 10:55 #4 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Colorado oil shale

Nobody that matters wrote: I think it's only oil permeated under special conditions - if it reaches the surface, the oil would have long since escaped.

But, I'm not a geologist. I'm just gonna be surprised if it can be found without drilling for it.

He lives in Israel where he picks it up in stream beds.

31 Mar 2011 11:04 #5 by daisypusher
Replied by daisypusher on topic Colorado oil shale
Along the CO river in spots many of the pebbles are oil shale. You break them in two and you can smell the oil - so there is "some" oil left in them.

31 Mar 2011 11:09 #6 by Nobody that matters
Looks like I got a google research project! I like it when I'm wrong about something.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

31 Mar 2011 12:39 #7 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Colorado oil shale
Years ago Exxon undertook an oil shale project called the Colony Shale Oil Project. It was an oil shale development project at the Piceance Basin near Parachute Creek, Colorado. The shale was to be mined and then processed for oil. I would think this would be the best place to start.

Most good oil shale is black. There are some very good black shale outcrops I've passed, but no longer recall were they are located. If you do go hunting for oil shale samples, you may want to collect a little bit extra. You can check if you have a bionafied oil shale by taking some small splinters of it, putting them inside a small test tube and heating it until the shale begins to get red or you begin to see oil droplet forming toward the top of the test tube. I doubt you have a bunsen burner, but a blow torch would do the trick or perhaps even a gas stove. Happy hunting.

31 Mar 2011 13:34 #8 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Colorado oil shale

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Years ago Exxon undertook an oil shale project called the Colony Shale Oil Project. It was an oil shale development project at the Piceance Basin near Parachute Creek, Colorado. The shale was to be mined and then processed for oil. I would think this would be the best place to start.

Most good oil shale is black. There are some very good black shale outcrops I've passed, but no longer recall were they are located. If you do go hunting for oil shale samples, you may want to collect a little bit extra. You can check if you have a bionafied oil shale by taking some small splinters of it, putting them inside a small test tube and heating it until the shale begins to get red or you begin to see oil droplet forming toward the top of the test tube. I doubt you have a bunsen burner, but a blow torch would do the trick or perhaps even a gas stove. Happy hunting.

Thanks. I will leave it up to my b in law to do any testing. Unless I can extract some BTU's by putting some in my wood stove.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds