Will the Aliens Be Nice? Don’t Bet On It

06 Oct 2011 11:30 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... ef=opinion

"The probability that there is intelligent life somewhere other than earth increases as we discover more and more solar systems that seem capable of sustaining life. The thought that there might be extraterrestrial intelligences (ETI) somewhere out there excites us and has led to organized efforts to contact any such beings. We have sent space probes with data about us, and we transmit signals with a structured content (like symbols expressing mathematical formulae) to what we hope will be an intergalactic audience. The search for extraterrestrial intelligence project (SETI) is obviously based on the assumption that the possible benefits of contact with ETI outweigh the possible harms. But do they?"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Oct 2011 11:55 #2 by Rockdoc
Interesting speculation for sure. The whole search for EI is futile I think. I do not expect we will encounter pen palls with the human messages sent outward. It seems reasonable to speculate that EI is out there but far too advanced for us to decipher or even to receive their messages and that ours fail to reach them. Or, perhaps, that there is an ET out there sitting in a room trying to figure out what the hell these primitive beings are saying. Above all, what EI exists still has not managed to negotiate the distance between stars.

Another thought. What constitutes a viable planet for life? Considering the abundance of planets unlike ours, most being barren pot-marked surfaces, we may well need to rethink that matter. I think the first time we see a planet that exhibits a splash of color with which we are familiar (green and blue) it's time to really get excited. Another 2000 years? It took us that long to get from chariots to planes. Likely it will take that long or twice that long to get to the next level that will enable us to visit other stars and observe planets up close.

13 Oct 2011 10:07 #3 by Rockdoc
Just had another thought on this as I am reading a Star Wars book. This fictional tale has advanced life centered on core worlds. Even for them, worlds on their galaxy rim are poorly known after thousands of years. From a certain point of view this makes a lot of sense. Fact is that stars are much closer together toward the galaxy core than out on the edge where we are located. Assuming life began alien live began there earlier since these may well be older start systems, it may take them quite some time to venture outward to our rim world. It is a long ways to go. Don't have a theory on their attitude toward us other than we are primitive and perhaps suitable for slavery. lol

13 Oct 2011 10:20 #4 by Wayne Harrison
It's also interesting to speculate if intelligent life would have, or would have bred out, violent genes like we have -- ones that allow us to make war on each other. It's not entirely clear to me that intelligent life would have that gene. Just think how much further along out own civilization would be now if we hadn't had the many historic wars and conquests and destruction through the centuries.

I read somewhere that mankind and ants are two of the species on earth that actually war on each other and kill each other. In that sense, we share a kinship with violent ants.

As for slaves, an intelligent life would probably have some type of artificial life (more advanced that robots) at their beck and call. No need to train unintelligent beings (plus house and feed them).

13 Oct 2011 10:59 #5 by Rockdoc

Conservation Voice wrote: It's also interesting to speculate if intelligent life would have, or would have bred out, violent genes like we have -- ones that allow us to make war on each other. It's not entirely clear to me that intelligent life would have that gene. Just think how much further along out own civilization would be now if we hadn't had the many historic wars and conquests and destruction through the centuries.

I read somewhere that mankind and ants are two of the species on earth that actually war on each other and kill each other. In that sense, we share a kinship with violent ants.

As for slaves, an intelligent life would probably have some type of artificial life (more advanced that robots) at their beck and call. No need to train unintelligent beings (plus house and feed them).

All is certainly possible. Given that evolution has worked on genetic recombination for a rather long time (92 million years as far as ants are concerned), there must be some benefit to retaining the war gene. I have no idea of what that might be, but there is a reason it's not been suppressed or eliminated.

Whether or not they have robots, assumes life evolved along the line of life on earth or more specifically human technological evolution. It may be entirely different and never involve mechanical solutions. I think what is so entertaining intellectually, relates to thinking outside the constraints with which we are unfortunately bridled and blinded. That said, you make good point. There are no certain or correct answers only possibilities.

13 Oct 2011 13:09 #6 by Blazer Bob

Conservation Voice wrote: As for slaves, an intelligent life would probably have some type of artificial life (more advanced that robots) at their beck and call. No need to train unintelligent beings (plus house and feed them).

Yea, but we might be a cheap source of protein. It would depend on the cost/light year their space ships get. Of course, that assumes they use space ships.

13 Oct 2011 16:31 #7 by Wayne Harrison

neptunechimney wrote:

Conservation Voice wrote: As for slaves, an intelligent life would probably have some type of artificial life (more advanced that robots) at their beck and call. No need to train unintelligent beings (plus house and feed them).

Yea, but we might be a cheap source of protein.

You're thinking like a carnivore. I think intelligent life would have evolved beyond that primitive eating habit.

If they have mastered the art of advanced space travel, then they could certainly master atom hacking. There isn't anything on this Earth that they couldn't manufacture themselves, without traveling here to get it.

13 Oct 2011 21:12 #8 by Rockdoc
Indeed the options are endless. It seems reasonable to assume space travel would encourage light loads. Thus keeping food supplies to a minimum vs backup systems to effect repairs night seem wiser, especially if you have a replicator to make whatever food you require.

13 Oct 2011 22:24 #9 by Blazer Bob

Conservation Voice wrote:

neptunechimney wrote:

Yea, but we might be a cheap source of protein.

You're thinking like a carnivore. I think intelligent life would have evolved beyond that primitive eating habit.

Wow, talk about ethnocentric. Or would that be earthnocneric? Hm?

14 Oct 2011 08:44 #10 by Wayne Harrison
You talking about aliens eating protein from Earth is ethnocentric. Imagining they don't follow the same structure as Earth is not.

And once again you chose to comment about me without actually addressing the points made in the post.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds