Modern Humans Once Mated with Other Species

11 Nov 2011 19:48 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Modern Humans Once Mated with Other Species was created by CinnamonGirl
yuck.

It’s weird to think that tens of thousands of years ago, humans were mating with different species—but they were. That’s what DNA analyses tell us. When the Neanderthal genome was sequenced in 2010, it showed that as much as 1 to 4 percent of the DNA of non-Africans might have been inherited from Neanderthals. (Given that no African populations are known to have Neanderthal DNA, the matings must have occurred as modern humans moved into Europe and Asia). Scientists also announced last year that our ancestors had mated with another extinct species, and this week, more evidence is showing how widespread that interbreeding was.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/hominid ... r-species/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Nov 2011 19:52 #2 by otisptoadwater
Is this where the expression "screwed the pooch" comes from?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

11 Nov 2011 20:00 #3 by Wayne Harrison
There were probably no taboos about it back then.

15 Nov 2011 07:14 #4 by Nobody that matters
Homo sapiens and neaderthals were incredibly similar. Seems to me it'd be more like an inter-racial marriage rather than a mexican donkey show.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Nov 2011 10:53 #5 by Wayne Harrison
A homo sapiens having sex with a neanderthal? What did the homo sapiens use for a paper bag?

15 Nov 2011 11:42 #6 by Grady

Conservation Voice wrote: A homo sapiens having sex with a neanderthal? What did the homo sapiens use for a paper bag?

Didn't this happen right after beer was invented? rofllol

[youtube:6fs2nvhu]
[/youtube:6fs2nvhu]

[youtube:6fs2nvhu]
[/youtube:6fs2nvhu]

15 Nov 2011 13:19 #7 by Nobody that matters

Conservation Voice wrote: A homo sapiens having sex with a neanderthal? What did the homo sapiens use for a paper bag?

As an evolutionary throwback that has funtional wisdom teeth, more than my fair share of hair, and a semi-sloped forehead, I think I'll take offense to that.

:biggrin:

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Nov 2011 19:01 #8 by Wayne Harrison
Remember "Quest For Fire" and the mating scene where the female (Rae Dawn Chong) taught the male the missionary position?

15 Nov 2011 19:14 #9 by otisptoadwater
I guess the folks that put the study together haven't been to West Virginia or Arkansas. :Whistle

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

15 Nov 2011 19:43 #10 by Rockdoc

otisptoadwater wrote: I guess the folks that put the study together haven't been to West Virginia or Arkansas. :Whistle

rofllol rofllol rofllol

They are classified as different species. It is a name game invented by scientists for their benefit in thinking about evolution. It just sounds a whole lot more sexy to have inter species as opposed to inter clan or hoard sex, which would not be nearly as shocking given what we are taught about speciation. Now if you can find an alien from some distant world with a DNA that is compatible with ours but the are not of this world, then I'd find it fascinating. As it is up now it qualifies for no worse than ancient lust. Besides, seems I recall something about speciation resulting because of breeding issues not necessarily related to some kind of behavioral, geographic or temporal isolation factor. Otherwise, where is man in sheep skin??. lol

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds