The Chemistry of Snowflakes

27 Dec 2012 15:36 #1 by ScienceChic
[youtube:61cacmz2]
[/youtube:61cacmz2]

Produced by the American Chemical Society
Published on Dec 17, 2012

The video tracks formation of snowflakes from their origins in bits of dust in clouds that become droplets of water falling to Earth.

(Hoping this inspires Mother Nature to send some more our way) :happier:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Dec 2012 15:58 #2 by otisptoadwater
Cool video! For me it's more about what you do with the snow once it's on the ground...

[youtube:f397chgz]
[/youtube:f397chgz]

:snowman5:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

27 Dec 2012 16:03 #3 by ScienceChic
:rofllol

The other night I watched a Top Gear episode I had recorded from earlier in the year and the punishment Jeremy inflicted on James for losing a race was to eat "yellow snow"...I wonder if he was nice enough to put that down instead?!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Dec 2012 18:46 #4 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic The Chemistry of Snowflakes

Science Chic wrote: :rofllol

The other night I watched a Top Gear episode I had recorded from earlier in the year and the punishment Jeremy inflicted on James for losing a race was to eat "yellow snow"...I wonder if he was nice enough to put that down instead?!

The Olympic special filmed in Norway! My favorite part is the mini going down the ski jump.

Did you happen to catch the credits at the end?

27 Dec 2012 19:43 #5 by Wily Fox aka Angela
THAT is my favorite episode as well.
[youtube:2c3o4h7s]
[/youtube:2c3o4h7s]

I did like the hockey game a lot, too! and Jeremy chatting up the local girls
http://www.streetfire.net/video/049-top ... 183826.htm

27 Dec 2012 20:10 #6 by pacamom
yeah, but did you catch the credits at the end???? :skiing:

27 Dec 2012 20:15 #7 by Wily Fox aka Angela
yes m'am!!!

28 Dec 2012 12:28 #8 by ScienceChic
Hmmm, I didn't catch the credits at the end. Wonder if I still have the episode saved...

The mini going down the jump was awesome, the kids and I kept laughing at James trying to paint the line on the jump and sliding down instead. :)

28 Dec 2012 13:48 #9 by pacamom
Friday night and the lights are low
Looking out for the place to go

Just to get back on the topic of snowflakes.....

28 Dec 2012 15:15 #10 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic The Chemistry of Snowflakes

otisptoadwater wrote: Cool video! For me it's more about what you do with the snow once it's on the ground...

[youtube:16m6ri5p]

[/youtube:16m6ri5p]

:snowman5:

[youtube:16m6ri5p]
[/youtube:16m6ri5p]

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds