Why I Go Barefoot

17 Feb 2012 10:53 #1 by JOYInternational
http://www.joy.org/2011/11/10/will-i-be ... f-my-life/
Will I Be Barefoot – The Rest of My Life?
July 19th was the end of my challenge of going barefoot for 1 year. When I woke up that day I was truly excited about finally putting on a pair of shoes. Actually, I was thrilled about putting on a pair of socks! I sat on the edge of my bed (socks in hand) and was ready to feel the warmth and softness of those socks around my very calloused feet. I stretched them a little, brought them towards my feet and then something very strange happened. I couldn’t get them past my toes! “What the…” I thought. With a little more determination I tried again. You can choose to believe this or not, but this is exactly what happened. It was as if there was a force (an angel perhaps), pulling the sock in the other direction – away from my feet! It wasn’t anything you could see – but I certainly could feel it. I thought, “What the heck is going on?” I literally began to weep – and pray. I cried out, “God, I don’t understand what’s happening?” I then began to see the feet of the children who motivated me to begin my barefoot journey in the first place. I was reminded – they’re still out there – along with millions of others. Barefoot children at high risk of being taken by the traffickers and forced into horrific life of the child sex trade. I began to weep again.

As of this writing, I have been barefoot for 475 days. When I experience a little pain it reminds me why I’ve decided to go barefoot. It’s not only to share the message of the horrors of the child sex trade, but as a show of solidarity and a way for me to relate to these children in a small way.

What about you? I’m not saying you have to go barefoot, but I do challenge you to do something to help in the rescue of children who are experiencing a life of unspeakable terror and pain that most people cannot possibly fathom. Will you accept my challenge to get involved? I promise you this – if you do something to help get a child out of a brothel and see them go from a life of hopelessness into a life of JOY – it will give you a feeling of accomplishment and significance that is indescribable. If you want to do something but have no ideas – contact me and our team will put together some ideas to help you.

Whether you help raise funds or bring awareness to this horrendous crime against children – do something. The decision you make can literally help bring a child out of a life of horror and into a Safe Haven filled with security, joy and true love.

Dr. Jeff Brodsky
President/Founder

“No man is worth his salt who is not ready at all times to risk his well-being, to risk his body, to risk his life, in a great cause. “ ~ Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove…but the world may be a better place because I was important in the life of a child.” ~ Anonymous

JOY International
P.O. Box 571
Conifer, CO 80433

Phone: 303.838.0880

Website
Facebook
Twitter
DONATE!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jul 2012 15:14 #2 by JOYInternational
Replied by JOYInternational on topic Why I Go Barefoot
From my blog: http://www.joy.org/2012/07/18/my-barefo ... ars-today/

My Barefoot Journey – 2 Years Today!
Posted on July 18, 2012

It was exactly 2 years ago today (July, 19, 2010) while on a trip to Phnom Penh, Cambodia that I chose to go barefoot. Being outside a garbage dump where children were at high risk of being snatched by predators and forced into the child sex trade, I noticed a group of children who were all barefoot. When I went to my room that night, I took off my shoes and wondered what it would be like to live life everyday – barefoot. I put my shoes and socks away and I’ve been barefoot ever since. I was originally going to go barefoot for just one year. Last year, when my one year journey ended, I decided to keep going because I knew those children were still out there and I knew that my going barefoot was speaking to people and motivating them to action. As I shared with Gail (my wife of 37 years), “Gail, I’m going to continue going barefoot as long as people are motivated to action in a way that will help me rescue just one more child each year.”

Has It Been Worth It?
Ask the Conifer High School students who went to their Prom – Barefoot. Or you can ask the 100+ Elementary, Junior and Sr. High School students in Littleton, CO who went barefoot for 3 days. How about High School Student Cobi Jones who went Barefoot for 30 days in the middle of the Colorado winter. You can also speak to many people from the city of Conifer, CO who are co-hosting the Barefoot, Bluegrass & BBQ Festival on August 4th or the many people of all ages from around the world who have written and shared their stories of joining me on my barefoot journey.

Has it Been Difficult?
Sometimes. At times it can be painful (especially when it snows here in Colorado) or even worse, when it’s 100º outside and the pavement is scorching hot (I’d rather be barefoot in the snow). It can also be embarrassing when confronted by incredibly insensitive and ignorant people. There are NO LAWS or Health Code violations anywhere in America that says I cannot be barefoot in any restaurant or retail establishment! Although it can be a real hassle at times, for the most part, I’ve come to truly embrace the barefoot lifestyle.

My Worst Day Barefoot So Far
It happened just this past week. While at a VFW Breakfast with 2 team members trying to sell tickets to our upcoming Barefoot, Bluegrass & BBQ Festival , I saw a man I knew from a local church. I went up to him to shake his hand. He looked at me, looked at my bare feet and said “Uh-uh. I don’t agree with what your doin’ and I’m not shakin’ your hand! Now back off!” I was shocked. I said, “Are you serious?” He said, “I told you to back off, now back away!” Besides being embarrassed, it broke my heart that a man confessing to be a Christian would behave like that. Even Jesus loved and commanded us, to love our enemies. How much more should we love and accept each other. I felt sorry for the man and walked away.

While having those moments where it causes me to wonder if I made the right decision, more than anything else, my confirmation in being barefoot has opened many doors of opportunity to share the plight of THE most abused children on earth today. I will do anything to get another child out of a brothel where they have to service 10 – 20 of the most vile men on earth. If my going barefoot will get even one more child out – then so be it.

So my friends (and naysayers), YES, I am going to continue going barefoot. As long as there’s another child who needs to be rescued from being held as a slave in a brothel and used in the most heinous way imaginable, I’ll stay barefoot.

Again my friends (and those I’ve yet to meet), the next time you see me (you’ll know it’s me if you look down), don’t reach out to simply shake my hand. Instead, open your arms to embrace me with a hug. I need all the hugs I can get!

By the way, if you think it’s easy going barefoot, why not try it for a day. Just one day. When you wake up, no shoes, no socks – go totally barefoot for 24 hours. I dare ya.

Dr. Jeff Brodsky
President/Founder
JOY International

HEY COLORADO - I hope to see you at the Barefoot, Bluegrass & BBQ Festival on Saturday, August 4th from 11:00am to 6:00pm. It’ll be a fun time for the entire family. Tickets are just $25 ($35 after Aug 1st). Children under 16 are FREE! You can get your tickets Here – Ya’ll come and have a rootin’ tootin’ good ol’ time!

JOY International
P.O. Box 571
Conifer, CO 80433

Phone: 303.838.0880

Website
Facebook
Twitter
DONATE!

22 Jul 2012 15:56 #3 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Why I Go Barefoot
I go barefoot, (sometimes), to feel the weeds, grasses, little pine needles, little pine cones, little stones, and sand and love to sit and pull splinters out of my feet.
O, I also find it GREAT when stepping in old (or better fresh) animal poop.
NO, really I like to go barefoot... as my feet are screwed up anyway.
Really I do go barefoot... Call and ask my Wiffie.

22 Jul 2012 16:25 #4 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Why I Go Barefoot
I love your story and motivation JOYman. :like: I love being barefooted too, not as much as I would like but at every occasion I can. I've even gardened barefoot recently - a whole new experience!!! And last week I took my yoga students at RRCC out to do our all day yoga intensive on the lawn and under beautiful, big, old trees. We were barefoot the entire day and felt very grounded and relaxed. When I can't be barefoot on Mother Earth I am using a grounding pad from http://www.earthing.com/ - makes all the difference in the world when spending a lot of time at the computer. Of course, its' not the same as being outdoors.

23 Jul 2012 07:10 #5 by TPP
:thumbsup:

23 Jul 2012 10:19 #6 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic Why I Go Barefoot
This column will be followed by a new column called "Why I Had To Get A Tetanus Shot" or "How I Contracted The Flesh Eating Bacteria."

http://www.wtop.com/267/2944422/Keeping ... g-bacteria

I like sandals. They protect the sole of your feet but let them breath.

23 Jul 2012 14:50 #7 by TPP
rofllol

25 Jul 2012 13:27 #8 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Why I Go Barefoot
Dr. Brodsky has gone barefoot even in India and Cambodia and not had any problems. The longer you go barefoot, the more calloused and hardened your feet are on the bottom.

He's actually been a very bad influence on my children, :biggrin: because now they insist that they too can go barefoot in restaurants "like Dr. Jeff does", shopping malls, etc. lol I'm considering giving up on those fights and being grateful that I can save in shoe costs (especially my daughter, who seems to be developing into a girlie-girl, and I have no idea where she got that from...must be her dad) tongue:

And it's just good sense to be up-to-date on your vaccinations, regardless of your shoe preference. :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Aug 2012 15:08 #9 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Why I Go Barefoot

Science Chic wrote: Dr. Brodsky has gone barefoot even in India and Cambodia and not had any problems. The longer you go barefoot, the more calloused and hardened your feet are on the bottom.

He's actually been a very bad influence on my children, :biggrin: because now they insist that they too can go barefoot in restaurants "like Dr. Jeff does", shopping malls, etc. lol I'm considering giving up on those fights and being grateful that I can save in shoe costs (especially my daughter, who seems to be developing into a girlie-girl, and I have no idea where she got that from...must be her dad) tongue:

And it's just good sense to be up-to-date on your vaccinations, regardless of your shoe preference. :thumbsup:

my granddaughter (almost 3) goes barefooted almost all the time, she has always been that way and she doesn't even care about gravel or cold and she is very healthy and happy (and not even calloused feet )

06 Aug 2012 15:46 #10 by TPP
I hear that, Since I've NOT been FORCED to wear shoes, I've ONLY wearing boots when using chain saw, I do wear slippers ALOT, (sorry, Hawaiians call them, we call them Flip-Flops), When letting out, or putting away the chicken, (don't like the feel of chickensh*t on my feet or thur my toes), and when I'm spilling firewood. Also don't wear long pants, only shorts, and it felt really weird when I put on long pants, I've also found theat I perfer sleveless T-Shirts...
Any how, I have VERY calloused feet.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds