What Photoshop's Move to the Cloud Actually Means for You

09 May 2013 06:36 #1 by ScienceChic
I've been wanting to get the Suite, but the pricetag has been too much to choke down. However, this doesn't seem a better option for someone like me who makes very few graphics/month. Erg.

I feel for the people who have spent a ton on purchasing the software because as operating systems keep upgrading, at some point their Suite will not function anymore and they will be forced to switch to this.

What Photoshop's Move to the Cloud Actually Means for You
Adam Dachis
May 7, 2013

Adobe Photoshop, along with all other Creative Suite applications, just made a move to the cloud. Adobe decided to discontinue software you can actually buy so they can force you to rent the applications for a monthly fee. This change comes with a number of problems but also some advantages. Here's what the change means to you.

You Own Nothing, and Creative Cloud May Not Save You Money
    You
Can't Pay As You Go
Creative Cloud Provides Actual Desktop Applications, Not Webapps
Adobe Creative Cloud's Copy Protection Didn't Get Worse
Updates Come Sooner (But You Can Skip Them)
When You Should Sign Up Depends on Your Situation[/ul]

All in all, we do not like Adobe's decision to completely discard software you can purchase. While renting Creative Cloud provides a more affordable path for some people, and we're glad it exists, we find the lack of choice and annual commitment extremely frustrating and not in the interest of the consumer. While we doubt Adobe will return to selling software, we hope to see them at least treat their customers with a little more respect and remove the year-long requirement without an adding cost.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 May 2013 06:44 - 09 May 2013 07:32 #2 by FredHayek
My dad always warned me about those products that keep on billing every month. Usually it is better to buy it once and be done but the upgrades...didn't those used to be free?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 May 2013 07:28 #3 by Something the Dog Said
I have been using GIMP for the last couple of years. A bit clunky compared to Photoshop, but can't beat the price.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

18 Sep 2013 06:32 #4 by Reverend Revelant
I refuse to put ANYTHING on ANYONE's cloud. Call me old school but I want my data under my control. I'm a big boy, I'm very capable of making full-drive back ups.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

18 Sep 2013 07:03 #5 by FredHayek
The cloud might be handy after natural disasters like fire or flooding.

18 Sep 2013 07:46 #6 by Reverend Revelant

FredHayek wrote: The cloud might be handy after natural disasters like fire or flooding.

I keep my back up drive in a heavy duty locked safe... not going to burn or wash away.

18 Sep 2013 08:54 #7 by archer
ditto Walter....I keep a backup hard drive in a home safe.....I also periodically back up important documents to either DVD or a flash drive for the safe deposit box. Cloud storage just doesn't appeal to me, I don't want all our stuff "out there". I got in the habit when I still had my business, it was important to keep my client's data safe and secure.

18 Sep 2013 08:57 #8 by FredHayek
A safe is good but what happens when you can't access your safe?
It might be awhile before some people can get back to their flooded mountain homes.

18 Sep 2013 09:23 #9 by Reverend Revelant

FredHayek wrote: A safe is good but what happens when you can't access your safe?
It might be awhile before some people can get back to their flooded mountain homes.

Put a lid on it Fred. Stop with the endless back and forth. I have been dealing with computers since the 60's. I am VERY capable of taking ownership of my data and maintaining it myself.

18 Sep 2013 09:36 #10 by ScienceChic
After seeing pictures of where some houses ended up during this last flood, I'm not confident that having a backup here at home is good enough. If a flash flood can wash away a pickup truck, it sure as hell can wash away a home safe. Just sayin'...

We have our photos backed up on CD copies that we have both here at home and in our Safe Deposit Box at the bank. It would be a pain to regularly take a back-up drive of my entire laptop and put it in the bank safe, but it's more water-proof and less likely to wash away than my house. Of course, if we know something like that is coming, we're grabbing the shared drive and tossing it in the car with the laptops as we evacuate.

I don't mind using the cloud for non-critical stuff, but I'm leery of putting pictures or sensitive documents out there on it.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds