Kitchen & Cooking Tips

16 Jan 2012 12:44 #1 by ScienceChic
I saw this and loved it - my mashed potatoes are always wanting to boil over, it's a contest between them and me to see who wins every time! lol Do you have any tips like this that could come in handy for others? (There's some useful info in the comments too!)

http://lifehacker.com/5876442
Use a Wooden Spoon to Stop Pots from Boiling Over
By Whitson Gordon
Jan 16, 2012

by slokotkov

When you put a pot of water on, put a wooden spoon over the top of the pot. If it starts to boil up too high, the spoon will pop the bubbles and keep it from boiling over as quickly, meaning you have more time to get back and turn the heat down.

Hit the link to read more.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jan 2012 16:15 #2 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic Kitchen & Cooking Tips
I use ZIP LOCK GALLON STORAGE BAGS to crush crackers in, to marinate meat in and also to put flour in if I'm breading anything.. All you have to do when done is zip it up and put it in the trash!! No mess on the counter....

19 Jan 2012 12:42 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Kitchen & Cooking Tips
MamaRama, I do the same thing. They come in handy for decorating cupcakes with icing too!

Here's another that I've always wondered about. Someone else asked, and here's the answer:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-a ... on/AN01024
Question: Moldy cheese: Is it unsafe to eat?
If a piece of cheese has mold on it, should I throw the cheese away?
Answer from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

The answer depends on the type of cheese. Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese and cream cheese, that grow mold should be discarded.

Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as Cheddar, Colby and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least one inch around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold itself so that it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese.

Check out the article for a list of specific cheeses, and also some other good articles! (I'm going to go read Tips for Cooking Fish, and check out the slide show on herbs!)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Jan 2012 17:35 #4 by MamaRama
You know it's funny Sc, but I would have never thought of using them when icing cupcakes!! oopsie on me.. :biggrin:

19 Jan 2012 18:02 #5 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Kitchen & Cooking Tips
You can also make omelettes in them. Great if you are cooking a lot at once.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/omelet-in-a-bag/

23 Jan 2012 19:47 #6 by MamaRama
Has anyone ever used a Digital pressure Canner and if so do ya like it and would you recommend it? Thanks

23 Jan 2012 20:19 #7 by BaconLover
Replied by BaconLover on topic Kitchen & Cooking Tips

MamaRama wrote: You know it's funny Sc, but I would have never thought of using them when icing cupcakes!! oopsie on me.. :biggrin:

You fill the ziplock back with what you want to squeeze out, then cut a corner of the bag off the size of what you need. Works from Manacotti to... well cupcakes!

29 Jan 2012 14:50 #8 by ScienceChic
MamaRama, no I've not used a digital pressure cooker. It seems like it would be handy up here with the additional adjustments that are needed for canning due to altitude though.

Ran across this blog that had some great tips. I especially like the constantly re-growing scallions on the counter, and making your own vanilla extract and vanilla sugar (hubby's a big fan of creme brulee and we're always on the hunt for flavored sugar for the glazing).

http://homemadeserenity.blogspot.com/20 ... nilla.html
Putting Food By - Beef, Onions and Vanilla
Friday, March 11, 2011

The next time you have green onions, don't throw away the white ends. Simply submerge them in a glass of water and place them in a sunny window. Your onions will begin to grow almost immediately and can be harvested almost indefinitely. We just use kitchen scissors to cut what we need for meals. I periodically empty out the water, rinse the roots off and give them fresh water.

31 Jan 2012 13:12 #9 by MamaRama
Thanks SC, i checked with the extension service and they recommend the OLD FASHIONED pressure canner with the steam release valve instead of a digital canner... so we will see..

03 Feb 2012 18:16 #10 by ScienceChic
Funky. I love avocados, but not eggs that much. I think it'd need some salt...but it does sound good and healthy!

http://lifehacker.com/5881942/bake-an-e ... fast-treat
Bake an Egg in an Avocado for a Fast and Healthy Breakfast Treat
By Alan Henry
Feb 3, 2012

Avocados are amazing things—they're delicious on their own, but they also have a lot of healthy fats, dietary fibers, and vitamins, and despite their high caloric value, they're remarkably easy to prepare. If you have an avocado that's too firm to use for something else, or you're just in the mood for something new and healthy for breakfast, slice it in half, remove the pit, and carve out a little space in the center. Crack an egg where the pit was, and bake. In a few minutes, you'll have a delicious, protein and vitamin-packed breakfast treat that's rich enough to keep you going all morning.

see link for easy recipe.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds