Growing Vanilla At Home...or Maybe Not :)-

16 Mar 2014 16:12 #1 by ScienceChic
Just in case you ever get the wild idea to grow your own vanilla, read this first (whoever wrote this has a great sense of humor!):

Is it possible to grow vanilla beans from orchids at home?
Best Answer
(answered 5 years ago)

Is it possible? Yes it is.
Are you likely to succeed in such an endeavor? Probably not.

A member of the orchid society to which I belong has one in his greenhouse and it has grown everywhere, at least twenty feet from its pot in several directions and up into the roof structure of the greenhouse another twenty feet.

If you've managed to get to this point you'll run into another problem, pollination. The insect which would normally take care of this doesn't live in your climate so you would have to hand pollinate the flowers. <snip> given the size and growth habit of the plant it still won't be easy and is farther complicated by the fact that the sap of the plant can cause dermatitis if it comes in contact with your skin.

A couple months later if you've done everything right, and once you've recovered from falling off the ladder and that irritating rash on your hands and arms has finally gone, you'll have some vanilla beans. Once they get about eight inches long and turn dark brown they are mature and can be harvested. There's that irritating rash again. Having fun yet?

By now you've spent enough money on greenhouses, climate control, fertilizers, pesticides and medical bills to buy several hundred pounds of the beans so save yourself the effort and head to the market to buy them instead of going through all that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Mar 2014 17:09 #2 by BaconLover
Bummer... It would still be fun to grow :)

16 Mar 2014 18:39 #3 by FredHayek
Some things are better left to the experts?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Mar 2014 19:44 #4 by otisptoadwater
If you have ever lived in the south east you've likely encountered Kudzu. It can grow a foot a day when conditions are favorable and when the growing season is over there aren't any wonderful things to harvest, just a mass of vines and leaves that never go away.

[youtube:qvgvgsqq]
[/youtube:qvgvgsqq]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Mar 2014 07:40 #5 by FredHayek
I would love to know how hunter gatherers decided that the bean from this irritating plant would be good to use as a flavoring.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2014 08:00 #6 by Venturer
Perhaps to cover the taste of some not so pleasant foods that probably were eaten every day or were monotonous to eat? I doubt I would ever grow it but it does have some uses now that people like.

FredHayek wrote: I would love to know how hunter gatherers decided that the bean from this irritating plant would be good to use as a flavoring.

17 Mar 2014 08:03 #7 by Venturer
OPTW I am not familiar with this plant. Since it is prolific has anyone used it to make a trellis to block the summer sun or grow on their home to keep it cool in summer? I have to wonder too if it is used by others for more sinister enterprises like illegal grown operations.

otisptoadwater wrote: If you have ever lived in the south east you've likely encountered Kudzu. It can grow a foot a day when conditions are favorable and when the growing season is over there aren't any wonderful things to harvest, just a mass of vines and leaves that never go away.

[youtube:2rt60fff]

[/youtube:2rt60fff]

17 Mar 2014 08:43 #8 by Mtn Gramma
Fred, I have that curiosity about a lot of edibles. I think I need a way-back machine.

17 Mar 2014 18:38 - 19 Mar 2014 16:39 #9 by Unpopular Poster
Replied by Unpopular Poster on topic Growing Vanilla At Home...or Maybe Not :)-

Mtn Gramma wrote: Fred, I have that curiosity about a lot of edibles. I think I need a way-back machine.

I grow my own hops..I have a secret garden

17 Mar 2014 19:05 #10 by Photo-fish
I informed Jeffco Open Space about your secret Hops garden in Pine Valley Ranch. I think they were pissed and discussing ways to irradiate it as it has turned into an invasive species down there.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds