Girth and The Gut

21 Apr 2011 20:05 #11 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Girth and The Gut
Interesting. This is another example of ecologic balance being disrupted. Whether it is vegetation, animal, or bacterial communities the story is rarely simple. Scientific insight is often insufficient, so I expect there will be many new discoveries of imbalances that scientists create as they try to solve existing relationships. More specifically, I do not expect one species of bacteria or floral component to yield consistent positive results. Too little is still understood.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Sep 2011 14:18 #12 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Girth and The Gut
Going along with this topic: visualizing the effects that being obese has on your body

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... O_20110926
A Graphic Look at Obesity--Inside and Out
A new detailed picture of the biological consequences of the global weight problem, as visualized by the scientifically tuned illustrations of theVisualMD
By Katherine Harmon | September 22, 2011

Global girths are on the rise—with some 1.5 billion adults now overweight and more than one in 10 adults obese worldwide. U.S. figures are even starker: more than half of the population weighs too much and more than one third are obese.

The causes of these conditions have turned out to be much more diverse than too much junk food and couch time. Research has now implicated factors as far-ranging as stress and the lack of quality sleep as complicit forces in the epidemic.

Using some of the latest scientific data, theVisualMD has created a collection of illustrations that elucidate the complex causes and biological ramifications of obesity.

File Attachment:

Obese Woman, cross section
http://www.thevisualmd.com/media_galler ... 8&idc=1358

Traditionally, obesity has been defined as a weight at least 20% above ideal weight. More recent guidelines call for classifying obesity by using the body mass index (BMI). BMI is calculated based on your height and weight. However, BMI may classify as obese some people who aren't overweight but who are heavily muscled or big-boned. It also doesn't take into account the person's age. Waist-to-hip ratios (WHR) may be a better indication of disease risk, because they indicate if you have a lot of dangerous visceral fat inside your abdomen. Some doctors feel it's possible to be classified as obese and still be physically fit.

Not the nicest of pictures, but I remember when I was pregnant and having to test my blood sugar every day after every meal thanks to being diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and seeing in stark black and white the effects on my blood sugar levels of each and every type of food that I ate, and most importantly, my stress levels, had more of an impact on my behavioral modification and eating habits than any conversation with a dietician could've ever had. Sometimes being slapped in the face with the consequences, with no punches pulled, is what's really needed to improve our habits (and looking at pictures beats having a heart attack to wake you up!).

The website above, theVisualMD , has lots of other stuff besides obesity (cardiovascular, depression, pregnancy, back pain, etc) - check it out in your spare time!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Oct 2011 13:37 #13 by rocky mtn thyroid center
I was listening to a prominent cardiologist talk and he said that the % of Americans that are overweight is 75%!!

clearly,as Rock Doc has indicated, there are a boatload of mechanisms, many variables.

I think Sci chi has it right when she says sometimes we need to smacked with reality to effect any change.

I find that your gestational diabetes experience is not rare. It's just that until you see the cause and effect from what you stick in your mouth and the improvement or degradation in your health, the whole things seems kinda like a religion... you take it on faith.

When you start to monitor your vitals or blood parameters or whatever, then it becomes
so much more real. Much less disconnect.

The same cardiologist had an interesting statement on hypertension.

He(Dr. Mark Houston) indicated that 70% of the American population have a hypertensive effect of caffeine/coffee. This related to absence or presence of certain enzymes in your liver that relate to detoxification of caffeine.

Does your heart beat get faster with a cup of Joe? Simple to find out. Or even better ,
a digital BP cuff that goes around your bicep can definitively show it.

Dr. T

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds