How Western Diets Are Making The World Sick

14 Apr 2011 07:52 #11 by rocky mtn thyroid center
chickaree-
clearly you are right. My question is why?

Is the 1960's food pyramid still ingrained in the consciousness of Americans?

What up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Apr 2011 09:18 #12 by chickaree
Habits I think. We are raised with a deeply ingrained idea of how our dinner table should look. You have to acknowledge a bad habit to break it.

15 Apr 2011 15:17 #13 by rocky mtn thyroid center
chickaree- I agree, food is sometimes about memory/reward pathways in our brain, not at all about what makes this incredible bio-electrical machine function optimally. Great point about awareness. Rarely is ignorance bliss.

24 Jun 2011 08:39 #14 by ScienceChic
This fits with Western diet problems, so I put it here in this older thread.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podca ... r-11-06-24
Fat Substitutes May Make You Fatter
Research with rats reveals that fat substitutes may prime the body to consider all fats to be low-calorie and thus decrease the ability to burn real fats efficiently--leading to weight gain. Karen Hopkin reports.
| June 24, 2011

Dieters can choose from an array of snacktackular options in which sugars and fats are replaced by artificial, low-calorie substitutes. That sleight of hand seems ingenious. You can let your body think it’s getting the sweets and fats it craves while keeping the calorie count to a minimum.

But the new study suggests that this strategy is likely to backfire. A mouthful of fat is usually a signal that calories are coming, and the body reacts by getting ready to burn fuel. But olestra, which tastes like fat, carries no calories at all. So the body soon learns to stand down in the face of fat. All fat. Even real fat.

Listen to the podcast on the link above for more!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Jun 2011 14:22 #15 by rocky mtn thyroid center
Sci Chi-

It's too bad that so many people will try almost any product promising weight loss, including Olestra. Yeah, that's what we need more of.... anal leakage( a side effect published by the makers of Olestra).

What is so weird is that the typically gullible american that is overweight, keeps looking for the miracle cure, a kind of magic ingredient that "melts the pounds off." And our capitalistic society makes sure there is always someone looking to "capitalize" on this naivete, separating them from their dollars, and in no way addressing the root cause of weight gain.

Dude, there is no such thing!

Even more, there are proven ways to trim your figure. It's just that it involves a change in how you eat, how you think, or how you move. This is potentially difficult and where the rubber meets the road. Comittment is key.

As regards to the article, it is within the realm of possibility that your body goes through kind of an operant conditioning similar to pavlov's dogs. Only this time, your body doesn't gear up to digest because it has been fooled enough times by the fake stuff.

Speaking of fake stuff, which additive has the the most FDA complaints of all. Even more that all the other additives put together?

Nutrasweet/Aspartame.

This is truly evil science. I have read books on this outlining it damage to the brain, links to cancer and get this: increasing weight.

Yikes.

If anyone wants more info on this let me know and I will do a post on this poison.

I have a flow chart for weight loss that includes the above plus the hormonal aspects as well. I'd be happy to e-mail to anyone.

Dr T

26 Jun 2011 14:30 #16 by major bean
Self loathers believe that anything that is enjoyable is bad for you. We must all repent, sitting in sackcloth and ashes, heaping dirt upon our heads. We must fill our mouths with bland, distasteful fodder.

Regards,
Major Bean

26 Jun 2011 14:48 #17 by ScienceChic
mb, where in any of those posts do you see people advocating eating bland food?

For the record, naturally grown fruits and vegetables, nut, chocolate, etc are the best tasting stuff on the planet - eat that rather than man-made chemicals and see how much better you feel!

Dr. Trinka, I agree with everything you've said. Achieving a healthy weight and cardiovascular output is not something that can be done quickly, or with a magic pill. It takes a lifestyle that is healthy and effort/work to stay in shape. And there's nothing that feels better!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Jun 2011 18:33 #18 by major bean
"How Western Diets Are Making The World Sick". I believe that this is the title of this thread. Most of the people of the world eat rice, bugs, and such. They would be very fortunate, indeed, to have access to our Western diet. The lack of fat in those people is called starvation.
The only thing about our Western diet is that women have such a fixation on the avoidance of being fat.

Regards,
Major Bean

26 Jun 2011 18:42 #19 by chickaree
The Mediterranian diet is delicious and healthful as is Thai and Indian food. I love summertime because fresh fruits and vegetables are plentiful and affordable. Idon't see anything wrong with educacating yourself about what is healthful and what is not and making informed decisions. Yes, you may still decide to chow down on those chips while knowing that they will raise your cholesterol, your blood sugar, your weight and your blood pressure.

26 Jun 2011 21:53 #20 by The Viking
Right up my alley. I love this thread. I have studied this for many years. And so has my family. We eat extremely healthy and most of my family has all lived into their 90's. If you want to read an interesting article and you can find plenty more, read this on aspartame. It is in all diet soda's and sugar free gum. I chewed it for 20 years day and night and never realized what it was doing to me. When I stopped my entire health changed 100%. It is pure poison for all of you who drink diet soda. I have not had a soda in many years but never even thought about the effect that Trident gum was having directly on so many of my organs until I did a biomeridan test and every organ was being effected and infected by it. Within 3 months of stopping everything changed. This world is full of poisons that we take in every day that we don't even realize.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds