Gluten-free diet, muscle imbalances, cardio & weights

20 Oct 2010 13:46 #1 by anytime
Anytime Fitness
10875 U.S. 255, Suite D101
Conifer, CO 80433

Fitness Matters
“Little Ditties” by Jack & Dyanne
Expert answers to your health and wellness questions

Question: A friend of mine has been following a gluten-free diet, and is losing weight and feeling more energetic than she has in awhile. That said, she is not gluten intolerant and doesn’t have celiac disease. Is this diet recommended for weight loss and general health?
Answer: This diet is not intended for presumably healthy individuals, and there isn’t any research to indicate that it helps with anything other than gluten intolerance or celiac disease. There are many so-called “experts” out there that attribute the inability to lose weight, or a lack of energy, to any number of dietary factors, including gluten. Unfortunately, they can’t point to any studies indicating that gluten is the problem, and if that’s the case, a lack of gluten is unlikely to be the solution. Celiac disease is diagnosed with a blood test and an intestinal biopsy, and gluten intolerance is typically diagnosed if gastrointestinal symptoms persist in the absence of a clinical diagnosis. Your friend is likely experiencing weight loss as the result of following a more restrictive, lower calorie diet, and this probably explains her renewed energy level as well. If she wants to continue the diet, that’s completely fine, but it probably isn’t necessary to reach her health and wellness goals.

Question: I just started lifting weights and noticed that I have some significant muscular imbalances when it comes to strength. Is this normal, and if so, what can I do about it?
Answer: This is completely normal, and is something that most people deal with when they start a strength training program. Most of us have a dominant side that becomes stronger as we age, thanks to repetitive use. This leaves us with a weaker side that can make strength training more challenging. Luckily, these weaknesses can be overcome. If you engage in a regular lifting program, your weaker side will gradually catch up over time. You don’t even need to focus specifically on your weaker areas, though many people do, in order to balance things out a bit faster. Bottom line—consistent training and time will create a balanced and strong body, so just stick with it!

Question: I heard that adding wrist and ankle weights while doing cardio will increase my calorie burn significantly. Sound like a good idea?Answer: In a word, no! Adding these types of weights can increase the calories burned during your exercise sessions, but only to a very modest degree. In addition, they can throw off the biomechanics of your movements, and potentially cause injuries to the shoulders, elbows, wrists, and ankles. They’re simply not worth it. You can get a much more effective workout by simply increasing the intensity and/or duration of your cardiovascular exercise. Or better yet, throw in some occasional high-intensity interval training (HIIT) sessions…that will really crank up the calorie burn!

Jack Miller & Dyanne Singler are Certified Personal Trainers at Anytime Fitness – Conifer

Anytime Fitness – Conifer’s premier 24 hour health club with over 1300 locations worldwide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds