School Safety: To Plan, or Not to Plan.........

09 Mar 2013 10:42 #111 by Arlen
Liberals see themselves as helpless and the government and its agencies as powerful. It is as if society is the living organism and the individual is merely a component to keep the society functioning and alive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2013 11:29 #112 by ZHawke
Whether or not one "agrees" with the "experts" on this wasn't the point of the exercise. Rather, the point was to try to illustrate how difficult it might be under stressful conditions to reach a team consensus on what articles to prioritize based on the fact there is both limited room and limited time.

It's interesting to me the perspective some have with regard to the Coast Guard's prioritization. Regardless of what the CG suggests, it is ultimately up to the "team" of survivors to try their best in this type of situation to choose their own path to ultimate survival. After all, the CG isn't even in the picture yet. Bottom line is they're going to have to do it together. If they don't do it together, some (perhaps all) may not survive at all.

The reality here is that neither politics, nor liberalism, nor conservatism will likely play any kind of a role in the decision making process under these circumstances. Ultimate survival will. That's the end game. How the "team" works together will be the ultimate litmus test of whether or not they survive together or perish together.

The purpose of the exercise wasn't to point out a political, a liberal, or a conservative bias. It wasn't to agree or to disagree with the Coast Guard. It wasn't to prove someone is right and someone else is wrong. Rather, it was intended to try to help illustrate the differences all of us have when it comes to our individual opinions, morals, ethics, experiences, etc. and how those factors play a role in our own decision making, both as individuals and in a team environment.

09 Mar 2013 12:08 #113 by Blazer Bob

ZHawke wrote: Whether or not one "agrees" with the "experts" on this wasn't the point of the exercise. Rather, the point was to try to illustrate how difficult it might be under stressful conditions to reach a team consensus on what articles to prioritize based on the fact there is both limited room and limited time.

I think it is a great exercise. It would be a lot of fun in person.

IMO a group of people in a stressful life threatening situation will most likely die unless they have a pre planned response or a designated captain. (you fight the way you train).

I think that is what you are striving for and for what it is worth, I heartily approve.

09 Mar 2013 12:13 #114 by ZHawke

Blazer Bob wrote:

ZHawke wrote: Whether or not one "agrees" with the "experts" on this wasn't the point of the exercise. Rather, the point was to try to illustrate how difficult it might be under stressful conditions to reach a team consensus on what articles to prioritize based on the fact there is both limited room and limited time.

IMO a group of people in a stressful life threatening situation will most likely die unless they have a pre planned response or a designated captain. (you fight the way you train).

I think that is what you are striving for and for what it is worth, I heartily approve.

Thanks.

Edited to add: Also, if you approve, I'd ask that you consider getting and staying involved.

09 Mar 2013 16:06 #115 by ZHawke

Blazer Bob wrote:

And one more thing BB, there are actually two parts to this exercise when done in person. Maybe some day, we'll have the opportunity to actually do both parts, but it'll have to be in person - with a group. The first part is to do the list individually within a specified time frame, and the second part is to do it again - only this time in a group setting with a more limited time frame than before.

It really does go to the heart of understanding team building and just how difficult it can be.

Thanks.

03 Jun 2013 13:02 #116 by ZHawke
Huge kudos go out to John-Michael and Ellen Keyes in their ongoing efforts to promote safer schools through the I Love U Guys Foundation: http://www.theflume.com/news/article_95616fc6-ca38-11e2-b419-0019bb30f31a.html

04 Jun 2013 09:10 #117 by ZHawke
Sharing a link to another Facebook page dedicated to safer schools - this one in the State of New York.

https://www.facebook.com/schoolsafehouse

Their mission:

The mission of School Safe "Keeping Schools Safe" is to improve the safety and security within all our schools worldwide.

13 Jun 2013 11:45 #118 by ZHawke
Bi-partisan and funded to boot:

SB13-138, sponsored by Republican Steve King in the Senate and in the House by Reps. Mike McLachlan (D-Durango) and Leroy Garcia (D-Pueblo), passed both chambers unanimously. A funded mandate, it includes a school resource officer on the state school safety commission, and it also directs the school safety commission to look for federal funding to bring in to Colorado to help fund school resource officers in schools across the state.

Way to go Colorado!

http://schoolsafetysummit.org/governor-hickenlooper-signs-sro-bill/

14 Jun 2013 20:30 - 23 Jan 2017 10:54 #119 by ScienceChic
I so wish I could attend this...congratulations to my friend Jeff Brodsky of JOY International, who was invited to speak at this symposium.

The Briefings: A National School Safety Symposium at Columbine
June 17-20th

In June of 2012 a unique event was hosted at Columbine High School in Littleton Colorado. A three day national symposium changed how attendees look at safety.

Based on overwhelming requests to repeat the event, the symposium will once again be held at Columbine. The assembly of speakers is unprecedented.

Targeted for law enforcement, school administrators, faculty, safety teams, and other first responders, the symposium achieves a number of tangible outcomes and unique take-aways that districts, departments and agencies can implement immediately.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Jun 2013 15:08 #120 by ZHawke
Made some modifications to our website for anyone interested. Hopefully, you'll find them useful.

The first were made on this page: http://www.thepeacechallenge.org/emergency-management.html and its subsets. Links to resources have been embedded for the user's convenience.

The second was made on this page: http://www.thepeacechallenge.org/forums.html to reflect an "expanded" mission. At some point in the future, our plan is to use the Forum topics headings as headers for tabs with subsets nested underneath.

Your feedback, ideas, constructive criticism, suggestions, recommendations are welcome. You can provide them here, or through the "Contact Us" function on the site, or by registering as a member and entering your comments into a particular Forum topic.

Thanks.
ZHawke

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds