Serious accident Hwy 285 at Kings Valley

04 Jun 2016 13:05 #1 by MountainTownAlerts
Per @CSP_Golden: Serious injury crash on SB Colo 285 & Kings Valley Drive. Traffic is being diverted on frontage roads around crash scene. S22

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jun 2016 14:10 #4 by terbear
When will CDOT fix this terrible intersection?

04 Jun 2016 14:21 #5 by MountainTownAlerts
Per CDOT (@ColoradoDOT)
6/4/16, 1:40 PM
Hwy 285 remains closed both directions @ Kings Valley road;Accident investigation taking place;Traffic getting by on frontage roads;Expect

04 Jun 2016 15:56 #6 by MountainTownAlerts
Per CDOT ‏@ColoradoDOT 4 minutes ago
Hwy 285 now open both directions @ Kings Valley road;Accident investigation ongoing;Delays possible

05 Jun 2016 06:55 #7 by papa43
More speed limit enforcement needed at this intersection....too many in a hurry here mixed with unfamiliar "flat-landers" tearing down that hill.

05 Jun 2016 09:59 #8 by ScienceChic
Unfortunately, terbear, unless the 285Tourism Committee can get something happening with our county, state, and federal representatives on this issue that we started talking to them about last year, or we can raise public outrage to the point that there's political pressure like what happened at Shaffer's Crossing, CDOT has no plans to spend any money completing any of the projects they've already created on paper for improving the safety of Hwy 285, including a flyover entrance ramp for those getting onto NB 285 from Kings Valley. CDOT is estimating it will be 20 years before they have funds to take care of 285; that is unacceptable to us so we've started a process to determine what we can do to make it happen sooner.

An update on this accident: A friend of mine witnessed it as it happened and stopped to help before Elk Creek even made it there. She sat with the wife and while her fiance tried to help the husband. He died in his arms and ECFPD was unable to revive him due to his extensive injuries despite their best efforts. It was friends of mine on that crew that responded, they could use your thoughts and support too. The driver of the car was apparently young and per my friend didn't do anything stupid, wasn't driving like a speeding idiot, it was just a tragic accident. He was really shaken up too, he immediately stopped and tried to help the husband as well.

The couple's son contacted my friend later yesterday to express his thanks. I asked her to let me know if the family needs anything; I'll post here if so. The wife suffered head injuries and broken ribs and is recovering in the hospital.

Something troubling that my friend who stopped, and my friends at Elk Creek Fire, mentioned that they noticed and were very upset by (you could even say highly pissed off) was there were a lot of people who, as they were driving by, took pictures of the body/crime scene. One such picture of the husband's body covered with a sheet and laying on the highway awaiting the coroner to arrive, kept getting posted on Facebook by a belligerent person with an agenda to "educate everyone to watch out for bikers". The picture that we posted above shows no such detail and was by someone obviously pulled off of the highway; that kind of picture we will share to alert everyone to a situation that they need to avoid as they head out to go somewhere. Posting pics, even taking them, of a dead man, and especially not getting the family's permission is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The lives of the first responders are at risk with every person who stops paying attention to the instructions they are giving on how to get around the accident while they snap away. I cannot refrain from saying something to help keep my friends safe: please, respect the family, be safe, and don't be an ass taking pictures of a last man's moments.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Jun 2016 15:08 #9 by Arlen
I remember about 7 years ago when Obama has billions upon billions of dollars for shovel ready jobs and was giving it away to the states, our wonderful state did not ask for any money so we only received $3 billion. Such a pity.

And Schaffer's Crossing is much worse than it was. The only political pull was for a major exit for a 5th rate state park, Staunton Park. They created such a death trap it should have been criminal. They had to reconfigure it several times before the carnage slowed down.

06 Jun 2016 15:08 #10 by Mountain-News-Events
Englewood man killed in motorcycle-car collision on 285
By Sal Christ
Monday, June 6, 2016 at 2:11 pm

An Englewood man was killed Saturday when his motorcycle collided with a car at Kings Valley Road and U.S. 285, according to the Colorado State Patrol.

James Ellison, 68, died at the scene after his motorcycle collided with a 2007 Honda Civic driven by Dillon Tussey, 22, of Evergreen at 12:05 p.m. Ellison was driving a 2006 Harley-Davidson south on U.S. 285 when it collided with the Honda Civic as the car attempted to turn from Kings Valley Road onto U.S. 285.

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds