Does $4 Gas Mean It's Time to Lock Your Tank?

08 Apr 2011 17:10 #1 by Nmysys
Does $4 Gas Mean It's Time to Lock Your Tank?

By John DeCostanza

Published April 08, 2011

| High Gear Media

Gas prices are on a steady march upwards--so is it time to start thinking about locking your gas tank again?

If you have not-so-fond memories of the 1970s, you might remember sales of gas-tank locks surging due to theft. They were inexpensive--and gas was not.

The same holds true today, with $4 gas the new reality. And that's why local police departments are issuing advisories about safeguarding your car's precious fuel.

But before you shell out about $15 on a piece of plastic with a key, think it over:

Do you really need a locking gas cap?

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/04/08/does-4-gas-mean-time-lock-tank/#ixzz1Iya2qhqp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Apr 2011 17:15 #2 by outdoor338
Good info, may have to get a locking gas cap!

08 Apr 2011 17:47 #3 by Blazer Bob
I thought tanks have been designed with anti-siphon springs in the throat for years.

08 Apr 2011 17:52 #4 by outdoor338
where there's a will, there's a way..I think for some criminals, they will find a way around it..

08 Apr 2011 18:48 #5 by kresspin
I don't remember. Were there a lot of gas thefts when gas topped $4 a gallon under Bush?

08 Apr 2011 19:10 #6 by Local_Historian
Weren't folks drilling holes in people's gas tanks just a short while back in order to steal the gas?

08 Apr 2011 20:06 #7 by Cowboy
well maybe not up here so much, but in denver and surrounding areas YES. we not only have locking fuel caps but welded steel plates around the tank so as to make it harder to drill holes in the tank.
Just a week ago we had two very bright individuals siphon diesel from a backhoe, we found them because they put the diesel in their car, it was running very rough and coughing blue smoke. I pulled up to see if they needed help, they responded they had gotten bad fuel. I could smell it, so not knowing it what had happened I went on my way. An our later the theft was discovered. KARMA had its way, maybe they needed fuel theif for dummy's. rofllol

Also YES we had fuel theft when Bush was in office, when are you ever going to get it thru your thick head. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO WAS OR IS IN OFFICE. Bush or Obama :bash

08 Apr 2011 20:33 #8 by Mayhem
If you live near upper Burland you would be well advised to lock your car up.

08 Apr 2011 20:45 #9 by AV8OR

kresspin wrote: I don't remember. Were there a lot of gas thefts when gas topped $4 a gallon under Bush?

I suspect you were last in line for brains at birth!

Perhaps, if we had a better leader in foreign policy currently, possibly, we wouldn't have these prices today.

08 Apr 2011 20:47 #10 by outdoor338

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds