Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) to resign amid ethics probe

21 Apr 2011 18:28 #1 by kresspin
Embattled Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) will resign from office “soon” according to two senior Republican sources, a move that comes amid an ongoing ethics investigation into his conduct.

http://link.email.washingtonpost.com/r/ ... S4UWS/UP/h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Apr 2011 18:35 #2 by JMC

21 Apr 2011 20:26 #3 by pineinthegrass
Having lived in Nevada at the time, I actually liked this guy and voted for him. He was not your typical Republican (nor typical Dem) and was willing to work with the other side.

He sure let me down, though. About time for him to leave. Now it looks like the gov is going to appoint Dean Heller to replace him. This guy is much more to the right. Remember Sharon Angle?

22 Apr 2011 21:06 #4 by kresspin
I read today somewhere he was resigning because more embarrassing stuff was going to come out. He goes in for a deposition the day after his resignation is effective.

23 Apr 2011 08:31 #5 by FredHayek
So Ensign loses his job for indiscretions and Clinton was re-elected with a past life of many indiscretions. Double standard?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Apr 2011 08:45 #6 by kresspin
Hard to say without knowing why Ensign resigned. He could have stayed but chose to resign.

23 Apr 2011 12:10 #7 by archer

SS109 wrote: So Ensign loses his job for indiscretions and Clinton was re-elected with a past life of many indiscretions. Double standard?

It was more than an indescretion....he created a rather big mess that embarrassed his colleagues and supporters, and violated lobbying restrictions.

an examination of his conduct shows that in trying to clean up the mess from the illicit relationship and distance himself from the Hamptons, he entangled political supporters, staff members and Senate colleagues, some of whom say they now feel he betrayed them.

Mr. Hampton said he and Mr. Ensign were aware of the lobbying restriction but chose to ignore it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/us/po ... nsign.html

24 Apr 2011 07:35 #8 by FredHayek
Clinton opened himself up to blackmail and rape charges becuase of his sexual appetites, and embarrased some of his supporters.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Apr 2011 08:26 #9 by outdoor338
I think rangel should have resigned as well...

24 Apr 2011 10:52 #10 by archer

SS109 wrote: Clinton opened himself up to blackmail and rape charges becuase of his sexual appetites, and embarrased some of his supporters.

Silly me, I nearly forgot that we cannot have a discussion on conservative ethics violations without the obligatory "But Clinton did it too, and it's a double standard" posts. Good for you SS109, you managed to get in two of those in one thread.

So what's your point SS109? should we ignore any ethics violations of conservatives because Clinton did it too? Do Republicans now get a free pass in the eyes of conservatives to break the rules because Democrats did it too. Do you not care what your elected representatives do because Clinton did it too?.....at least Outdoor came up with a more recent Democrat who "did it too" and I agree, Rangal should have resigned

You guys crack me up, not one conservative commented on Ensign himself, it's all whine, whine, whine, a Democrat did it too and they should have resigned, whine whine.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds