Wash. considers annual flat fee for electric cars

23 Apr 2011 09:28 #2 by ScienceChic
This isn't a new idea, they've been batting it around ever since the Prius sales started ramping up when gas hit $4+ a few years ago. It's either this or private toll roads everywhere...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Apr 2011 09:40 #3 by daisypusher
False dilemma. This either or mentality does need to give way to creative thinking. There are so many more options than two.

1. GPS tracking and paying the government by the mile to dive.
2. Charge more gas tax.
3. Charge more registration fees/possibly a monthly fee.
4. Upon registration renewal - base a tax on the number of miles driven for that year.
4. Increase taxes on electricity for everyone.
5. Charge more taxes on fuel efficient cars when purchased.

I am sure there are many more options than I can come up with in a minute, not counting combinations the options. Most likely the group(s) with less political power will pay more than their share.

23 Apr 2011 09:59 #4 by ScienceChic
I agree - the either/or options have too many drawbacks.

dp - I really like your #1 option, except for the GPS tracking part.
#2 will serve to merely punish the late adopters of electric only vehicles
#3 I'm assuming would be modified based on electric vs gas? But then would a better gas mileage car be charged less than a lower gas mileage SUV?
#4 is like #1 - would it simply be the DMV folks walking out and checking the mileage for themselves, or would the gov't try to implement a "certification" system, like emissions tests (you have to get your car mileage certified, and pay a fee to do so, before you could re-register?). That latter part sucks.
#4 (2nd) then people who drive gas powered cars are being punished, as are people who don't drive at all.
#5 in lieu of charging more for registration? Registration brings in a more steady flow of cash, which is needed for maintenance, than does car sales. This probably wouldn't generate enough revenue.

I like the thinking though!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Apr 2011 21:58 #5 by daisypusher
The problem with any option is that government is not obligated to use money collect for roads on roads. The same is true for education. These two areas are always used as an excuse to raise taxes/fees and then the money gets diverted. I do not support any increase in tax for either without truth in tax laws. Government must use the money for the purpose they collected the money - if/when that is the purpose given for the tax/fee.

23 Apr 2011 23:06 #6 by chickaree
Why not offer ration coupons for discounted gas up to a certain amount. If you use less you can sell the excess, if you use more, you pay more.

24 Apr 2011 07:33 #7 by FredHayek
Personally I am surprised to see eco-friendly state govements wanting to tax the "virtuous". But you know the goverment, they see a tax sourrce behind every tree.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Apr 2011 07:55 #8 by Martin Ent Inc
They want your Green for going Green.

24 Apr 2011 07:55 #9 by LadyJazzer
That's because the upkeep of highways & bridges require tax-funds in order to do it. They don't fix themselves. I love how the nebulous, generic "the government" is used to whine about any perceived revenue generation regardless of it's necessity or source. Of course, all "government" is "We The People", even if you don't like the taxes; and in this case, "the government" is the State of Washington, not the feds. If people who drive electric cars use the roads and the bridges, then there has to be a way to recoup the revenue that is not being brought in from state gas-taxes to keep the roads & bridges in good repair.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

24 Apr 2011 08:22 #10 by Martin Ent Inc
I want the little tree huggers that drive em to PAY like we do.
I pay alot with 6 vehicles.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds