Obama out of depth in troubled times

26 Apr 2011 08:10 #11 by AspenValley

CriticalBill wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote: She's a person, and her opinion is just a valuable as yours.

I hope you are kidding.

Everyone may be entitled to an opinion, but that in no way implies that all opinions are equally valuable. Would you rather take your heart surgeon's opinion or that of your hairdresser regarding those chest pains you've been having?

So basically what you are saying is that your opinion is just as worthless as hers (unless you can prove your credentials). What is the point of any of us giving an opinion on anything beyond our experience or education? If that's the case, we should all just keep our worthless opinions to ourselves.

No, that is not "basically what I am saying". What I am saying is that I respect everyones right to have an opinion, but a right to an opinion does not an include a right to respect for the opinion itself. When someone offers an opinion, it is going to be judged on the merits.

The idea that everyone's opinion is just as good as anyone elses is one of the most dangerous fallacies of our time. It's also sheer nonsense, as shown in the surgeon/hairdresser comparison.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2011 09:39 #12 by FredHayek

AspenValley wrote:

SS109 wrote: A woman who worked with him on the Harvard Law Review says he used to show up on Monday, find out what people were working on, hand out tasks and then you wouldn't see him again.

I wouldn't necessarily consider that a bad thing. That is almost an exact description of how the most productive, creative, synergistic environment I ever worked in functioned.

I agree. Depends often on the leader. Reagan inspired people and let them do thier jobs, possibly one reason Obama was reading Reagan biographies a while ago..

Too often the micro-managing Presidents like Carter get bogged down in the details and often can't know the subject as well as the experts.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds