Kucinich: Bush tax cuts caused a substantial part of deficit

29 Apr 2011 13:03 #1 by kresspin
The GOP plan, approved by the House, would lower taxes on corporations and the wealthiest Americans and draw the bulk of its savings from cutting federal health care programs.

Obama's plan would raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans and reduce military and domestic spending.

House Speaker John Boehner answered it by declaring tax increases "a non-starter."

"We don’t have deficits because Americans are taxed too little, we have deficits because Washington spends too much," said the Republican from West Chester in Southwest Ohio.

From both the other end of state and the political spectrum, Rep. Dennis Kucinich also said he was unsatisfied by the president's plan. But the Cleveland Democrat said he favored Obama's intention to end the so-called Bush tax cuts for the wealthy.

http://politifact.com/ohio/statements/2 ... used-subs/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2011 17:21 #2 by Rick
Hmm, I seem to recall Kucinich flipping out over Obama bypassing congress and then bombing the piss out of Libya. I wonder why you didn't post his opinion then since the story was just a teenie bit bigger?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

29 Apr 2011 17:26 #3 by kresspin
I didn't see it at the time.

Our limited bombing of Libya with Tomahawk missiles was in concert with coalition air attacks. After that, control was turned over to a NATO coalition.

29 Apr 2011 17:33 #4 by Blazer Bob

kresspin wrote: I didn't see it at the time.

Our limited bombing of Libya with Tomahawk missiles was in concert with coalition air attacks. After that, control was turned over to a NATO coalition.

Are you really unaware that US military attacks were not limited to Tomahawk missiles?

29 Apr 2011 17:45 #5 by Rick
Silly details Neptune...you know she's always on top of these stories. She probably also thinks we have more countries in this coalition than we did in Iraq.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

29 Apr 2011 17:49 #6 by Blazer Bob

CriticalBill wrote: Silly details Neptune...you know she's always on top of these stories. She probably also thinks we have more countries in this coalition than we did in Iraq.

Not silly at all. If that is what her sources say, it explains why she is wrong so often. It is not her fault if her sources are that ignorant.

29 Apr 2011 19:58 #7 by Grady
Kucinich an unbiased source?

29 Apr 2011 21:27 - 29 Apr 2011 21:45 #8 by Rockdoc

kresspin wrote: The GOP plan, approved by the House, would lower taxes on corporations and the wealthiest Americans and draw the bulk of its savings from cutting federal health care programs.

Obama's plan would raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans and reduce military and domestic spending.

House Speaker John Boehner answered it by declaring tax increases "a non-starter."

"We don’t have deficits because Americans are taxed too little, we have deficits because Washington spends too much," said the Republican from West Chester in Southwest Ohio.

From both the other end of state and the political spectrum, Rep. Dennis Kucinich also said he was unsatisfied by the president's plan. But the Cleveland Democrat said he favored Obama's intention to end the so-called Bush tax cuts for the wealthy.

http://politifact.com/ohio/statements/2 ... used-subs/

Just what does this do to mitigate reality? NOTHING. Who gives a royal hoot who did or did not cause a substantial part of the deficit. Unless you can go back in time, nothing can be done about it. The reality is we have it and it needs to be dealt with appropriately. The current administration and congress have an opportunity to make an impact. THe ball is in their court now. They need to move forward in the right direction. The hard part is doing what needs to be done, ie. cutting budget, and knowing that it is likely to be political suicide. It's going to take guts and putting America ahead of personal goals. Bring our military home, cut back their budget as once home their budgetary needs will shrink dramatically. Find and cut back all those pork barrel stuffers and move on to even more extreme cuts, whatever those may entail. It's going to hurt all of us, but I'd rather face it sooner than later myself.

So why would you support the Obama package? What makes it more viable than the GOP package?

29 Apr 2011 21:37 #9 by Blazer Bob

neptunechimney wrote:

CriticalBill wrote: Silly details Neptune...you know she's always on top of these stories. She probably also thinks we have more countries in this coalition than we did in Iraq.

Not silly at all. If that is what her sources say, it explains why she is wrong so often. It is not her fault if her sources are that ignorant.

CB, maybe we should chip in and get her a subscription to a good newspaper.

29 Apr 2011 21:55 #10 by Soulshiner

CriticalBill wrote: Hmm, I seem to recall Kucinich flipping out over Obama bypassing congress and then bombing the piss out of Libya.

What does that have to do with the Bush tax cuts?

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds