Rick Scott Rebuffed By Florida Republicans On Anti-Union Bil

29 Apr 2011 13:31 #1 by LadyJazzer

Rick Scott Rebuffed By Florida Republicans On Anti-Union Bill

WASHINGTON -- A controversial bill targeting public unions in Florida appears headed for failure, despite a last-minute lobbying effort by Republican Gov. Rick Scott (R).

The legislation, SB 830, would prohibit state and local governments from automatically deducting union dues from employees' paychecks. Union members would also have to give written consent before their dues are used for political purposes.

After meeting with Scott, one of the other GOP senators, Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, said of the bill, "It creates division and turmoil, and doesn't create jobs."

In an interview with The Huffington Post, state Sen. Rene Garcia (R) confirmed that he met with Scott on Wednesday and reiterated that he would be opposing the bill. He said he had heard from many of his constituents who were union members and wondered why the legislature was targeting them rather than going after all automatic deductions.

"If we weren't a right to work state, I might have been more inclined to vote for it," he said. "But this is a right to work state, and people aren't forced to join a union. People can opt in and opt out of a union whenever they want. That's my main reason for voting against this bill."

Labor unions have been actively organizing against SB 830, as well as an executive order by Scott that would mandate random drug tests of state employees and a proposal to privatize Medicaid.

A Florida labor official told The Huffington Post that GOP legislators were hesitant to tie themselves to Scott's controversial bill, in light of the governor's rapidly declining poll numbers.

"There's a group of concerned Republican legislators who have heard from their constituents that they don't like this," the source added. "This is not creating jobs. The governor is wildly un-liked. His poll numbers are absolutely atrocious."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/2 ... 54843.html

Wow, I guess sometimes they can't even get the members of their own party to drink the Kool-Aid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2011 08:15 #2 by RenegadeCJ
LJ, I'd be very curious to know why you would oppose such a bill, except just party line...cause unions dump hundreds of millions into the democrat coffers.

Why should a union be able to deduct dues directly, without permission of the employee? Every other deduction must be signed for, or requested, but union dues are automatic.

Also, why should a union be able to take a person's $$ from their check, and without their permission, use it for means which may or may not be supported by the employee?

These both seem like very reasonable rules. If I had it my way, there would also be no automatic withholding of federal, state, SS, medicare, and everyone would write a check quarterly to the respective place, INCLUDING the union. People would revolt in this country if they actually saw what they are paying for everything.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

01 May 2011 08:23 #3 by Pony Soldier
I seriously doubt if people would revolt, but it would be eye-opening. If I read the article right, this law would only apply to public sector unions?

01 May 2011 09:45 #4 by Rick
Oh the outrage, the HORROR!!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds