Geronimo nothing like Osama bin Laden

03 May 2011 17:16 #1 by outdoor338
Earth to President Obama: The Apache Nation thinks you and the U.S. military are sorely in need of diversity training – and that’s putting it mildly.

Tribal members are offended that the U.S. code name for the mission to capture Osama bin Laden was "Geronimo," an Apache hero whom they insist was never a terrorist.

"It’s insulting and hurtful," said Vernon Petago, a member of the Jicarillia Apache Tribe at the northern tip of New Mexico. "What were they thinking? They applied a respected Apache leader’s name to the most despicable terrorist in the world."

U.S. officials haven’t yet said why the name was chosen. But they’ve made clear that when U.S. special forces reported the news of bin Laden’s death to the Obama administration, the message was: "Geronimo EKIA" (enemy killed in action).

"Linking Geronimo’s name to bin Laden was uncalled for," Petago said. "As a Native American, I resent it. It sounds like the people in government are ignorant of our history – or maybe they just don’t care."

Some historians say Geronimo was a nickname first given by Mexico soldiers to Goyahkla, a 19th century Native American chief who fought to prevent the U.S. and Mexico from overtaking tribal lands.

The military saw him as a murderous thug who targeted white settlers. Today, some historians view him as a leader trying desperately to save his people. He eluded capture for nearly three decades.

"Geronimo was a respected leader of the Apache people," Petago said. "He did everything to help his people survive. They tried to live in peace, but the military kept harassing and terrorizing them."

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/othe ... 78729.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2011 17:23 #2 by Photo-fish
Why did all those paratroopers in WWI yell "Geronimo!" When they jumped out of the planes?

They were being so insensitive. :bash :bash

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_people ... _something

You are a fool.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

03 May 2011 17:26 #3 by AspenValley
I am so relieved! Someone finally came up with an Obama outrage of the day!

03 May 2011 19:43 #4 by Nmysys
Photo:

It just sounded like Geronimo. It actually was I don't want to go.

03 May 2011 19:49 #5 by FredHayek
Geronimo harrased both Mexican and American settlers on both sides of the US border. Sounds a lot like what Osama & the Taliban did after the US took over Afghanistan.
I do have a lot more respect for Geronimo however because he went into battle as opposed to OBL who sent people into action against innocents.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

03 May 2011 19:50 #6 by HEARTLESS
Geronimo was a man to respect, even by his enemies. He was tough (shot many times), clever and resourceful. Bin Laden was a myth (all BS) and a typical photo op politician.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

03 May 2011 19:56 #7 by Soulshiner
Was the operation named Geronimo or was OBL's code name Geronimo? I think there's a big difference between the two as to whether Native Americans should feel honored or disgraced by the designation.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

03 May 2011 20:38 #8 by bailey bud
no issues from this Native American.......

Call him whatever you like - I call him dead....

03 May 2011 21:12 #9 by outdoor338

Photo-fish wrote: Why did all those paratroopers in WWI yell "Geronimo!" When they jumped out of the planes?

WW1, we had paratroopers?

03 May 2011 22:15 #10 by Residenttroll returns
Where's Ward Churchhill when the Indians need him?

Seriously, the mission should have been named BURRITO.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds