Study Finds 47% Of Detroit Residents Are Illiterate

05 May 2011 15:24 #21 by Residenttroll returns

Nmysys wrote: Rush said today that we need to throw a lot of money at Detroit's Schools. Of course it was tongue in cheek.

I think Rush is right...let's do a TARP 3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 May 2011 15:36 #22 by Pony Soldier

residenttroll wrote:

Nmysys wrote: Rush said today that we need to throw a lot of money at Detroit's Schools. Of course it was tongue in cheek.

I think Rush is right...He's my biggest hero except for John Wayne. JW is SO CUTE!!!

Wow RT, you need to take a break from message boards...

05 May 2011 15:37 #23 by HEARTLESS
I think an air tight tarp over Detroit makes a lot of sense.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

05 May 2011 15:50 #24 by PrintSmith

AspenValley wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: the answer comes in the form of higher taxes on the rich, higher property taxes and higher corporate taxes.

Um, no.

Detroit doesn't have a "corporate tax" to raise. And neither does it have a progressive tax on property with one rate for the poor and one for the rich. Just like everywhere else, people pay a percentage of property tax based on the value of the property, not on their income bracket.

Taxes "on the rich" didn't cause Detroit.

Um - yes. Every major city has taxes which apply to businesses. Denver, for instance, has a head tax, and inventory tax and a use tax for equipment among others. Property taxes are generally county driven, and Detroit is the largest city in its county, thus the majority of the property taxes for that county would come from Detroit and a raise in those rates would impact its residents to a greater degree. Also, the evil rich generally own more valuable property - so a raise in property taxes takes more money out of their pockets. And then we come to the income taxes for the state of Michigan - which went up over 10% in 2007 (3.9% to 4.35%) - which would affect the total taxes the people in the city of Detroit are subject to paying. Then there is the commercial versus private property tax. The taxes on commercial property can be, and often are, different from that of residential property. The might even be addressed separately and it would be possible to raise commercial property taxes without affecting residential property taxes. Generally speaking, it is the rich, not the poor, who own commercial property, so a greater increase in commercial property taxes is a greater tax on the rich. Certainly all rich commercial property owners are taxed the same, but due to the higher value of commercial property in general, as well as the higher rates, property taxes are one method used to get more money from the rich. For instance, in Park County Colorado, residential property is assessed at around 8% of its market value, commercial property is assessed at about 30% of its market value.

05 May 2011 15:52 #25 by Residenttroll returns

towermonkey wrote:

residenttroll wrote:

I think Rush is right...He's my biggest hero except for John Wayne. JW is SO CUTE!!!

Wow RT, you need to take a break from message boards...

rofllol Wow, you have learned well from the morons on the left. Did you get the country club card too?

05 May 2011 15:54 #26 by Residenttroll returns

HEARTLESS wrote: I think an air tight tarp over Detroit makes a lot of sense.

It's too late...the democrat union termites have destroyed the infrastructure of the city.

05 May 2011 15:55 #27 by AspenValley
PS, surely you aren't suggesting that a $150,000,000 commercial facility have the same tax bill as a $35,000 roach-infested house? Or even that the owner of a $2,000,000 mansion have the same bill as that $35,000 roach hotel?

Because one would surely get that impression from your argument, in which you try to make a case that the tax burden falls disproportionately on the rich when it comes to property taxes.

05 May 2011 16:09 #28 by Mayhem
[youtube:3cf4dakq]
[/youtube:3cf4dakq]

05 May 2011 16:13 #29 by FredHayek

AspenValley wrote: PS, surely you aren't suggesting that a $150,000,000 commercial facility have the same tax bill as a $35,000 roach-infested house? Or even that the owner of a $2,000,000 mansion have the same bill as that $35,000 roach hotel?

Because one would surely get that impression from your argument, in which you try to make a case that the tax burden falls disproportionately on the rich when it comes to property taxes.

Colorado charges more taxes on business property than residential, and agricultural really gets a break.

Don't worry about Detroit, Obama and the Dems will send them more money. So the functionally illiterate will continue to live in this hellhole and collect their benefits.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 May 2011 16:28 #30 by AspenValley

SS109 wrote: So the functionally illiterate will continue to live in this hellhole and collect their benefits.

I'd say that this was swerving off topic, but I guess it really is at the heart of the topic, isn't it?
So what do you propose be "done" with the functional illiterates stuck in the hellhole of a Detroit?

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds