Greenspan “Betrayed” Ayn Rand and Ruined the Economy

09 May 2011 13:38 #11 by Blazer Bob
Yawn. When a r is in office he is ignorant, stupid and evil and everything wrong is all his fault.

When a d is in office, he is brilliant but the magnitude of the problems are just insurmountable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 May 2011 13:43 #12 by Nmysys

Given the garbage that he inherited on Day-1, I'd say he's done as well as anyone could do... (I shudder to think what it would be now if Geezer & Gidget had won the election...)

Kate:
You call LJ people, and so do many of us, but for different reasons. This is typical of LJ's rants and we all have come to expect them.

Garbage in, garbage out.

But your explanation aside, it still stands, no matter what Obama does, its okay because he is who the left voted for and therefore, he can do no harm, even when he is doing it.

09 May 2011 14:14 #13 by LadyJazzer
And we all know that "looking good" is certainly an important criteria for the Vice-President slot... Of course, she probably would have quit 6 months into the gig.

09 May 2011 14:49 #14 by Kate

Nmysys wrote:

Given the garbage that he inherited on Day-1, I'd say he's done as well as anyone could do... (I shudder to think what it would be now if Geezer & Gidget had won the election...)

Kate:
You call LJ people, and so do many of us, but for different reasons. This is typical of LJ's rants and we all have come to expect them.

Garbage in, garbage out.

But your explanation aside, it still stands, no matter what Obama does, its okay because he is who the left voted for and therefore, he can do no harm, even when he is doing it.

Say what you want about LadyJazzer, I don't care about your relationship with her. But when you say that it's the left that thinks he can do no harm, blah blah blah..... Both sides think exactly that when someone on their side is elected. Right now, there's a D in the White House. Someday, maybe soon, there will be an R in the White House, and then the tables will turn and everyone will say exactly the opposite of what they're saying right now, making themselves a hypocrite.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd ask you to not just blame one side. It will flip flop soon enough.

09 May 2011 15:18 #15 by chickaree
Do you people really believe that who is in the Whitehouse matters? You don't think both parties answer to the same masters? Quick hint, it ain't you.

09 May 2011 15:19 #16 by Soulshiner
Seems like all of those countries experiencing growth are production economies, the jobs that the US shipped overseas.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

09 May 2011 16:29 #17 by AspenValley

Soulshiner wrote: Seems like all of those countries experiencing growth are production economies, the jobs that the US shipped overseas.

Yes.

And none of those nations whose economies are strong got that way by anything resembling Randian free markets. In fact, the biggest economic juggernaut of them all, China, has the most centrally controlled markets in the history of mankind.

Not that I think you have to have such a controlled economy to prosper. But the OP claims we would be on that list of strong economies right now if we do the exact opposite of what is working for many countries around the world.

Sorry, but I happen to think what crashed our economy wasn't too much regulation, it was too much Randian fundamentalism. Applying even more of the same as a "solution" is in, my mind, pretty much the definition of insanity.

09 May 2011 16:44 #18 by Blazer Bob

AspenValley wrote: [Sorry, but I happen to think what crashed our economy wasn't too much regulation, it was too much Randian fundamentalism. Applying even more of the same as a "solution" is in, my mind, pretty much the definition of insanity.

"President Barack Obama ordered a review of U.S. regulations to remove or overhaul those that stifle economic expansion without helping consumers, advancing his outreach to the business community. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-1 ... ports.html

09 May 2011 16:46 #19 by AspenValley
Saying I don't believe it was over-regulation that got us into the trash bin economy wise isn't the same as saying I don't believe there aren't plenty of regulations on the book we could do without.

It's one thing to be business-friendly, another to be massive-financial-fraud-of-unimaginable-historic-levels-friendly.

09 May 2011 16:52 #20 by Rick

AspenValley wrote:

Soulshiner wrote: Seems like all of those countries experiencing growth are production economies, the jobs that the US shipped overseas.

Sorry, but I happen to think what crashed our economy wasn't too much regulation, it was too much Randian fundamentalism. Applying even more of the same as a "solution" is in, my mind, pretty much the definition of insanity.

I think the main reason for our current situation is the lack of saving and easy credit that became the norm over time. This country has/had one of the highest standards of living on the planet which was in large part because of borrowed money. The economy crashed from the bottom up because everyone wanted a house, or a nice car, or a big screen...and they got em easy.

I walked into a bank in 1999 and 30 minutes later walked out with a $75,000 unsecured loan that I could use for anything because I had good credit and BS'ed my income.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds