Omar bin Laden, youngest son lashes out at US

11 May 2011 07:51 #1 by Rockdoc
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/world ... laden.html

The statement, prepared at the direction of Omar bin Laden, who had publicly denounced his father’s terrorism, was provided to The Times by Jean Sasson, an American author who helped the younger Mr. Bin Laden write a 2009 memoir, “Growing Up bin Laden.” A shorter, slightly different statement was posted on jihadist Web sites.

We (the US) have our perspective on justifying the killing of Osama Bin Laden, but I can't help but feel a sense of identity with what Omar is saying. Think about publicly speaking out against your father's terrorist actions. How difficult must that have been? Think about a young man rebelling against his terrorist father, yet carrying the burden of his family name. Think about this young man reaching out to his father's victims and how that must have been received. It seems to me that Omar had an epiphany moment while growing up, one where he took a stance against all violence against humanity. In light of this, his statement denouncing his father's execution should not be taken lightly. Your thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 May 2011 08:01 #2 by chickaree
Of course you'd grieve the loss of your dad. Even if you condemn his behavior as long as he is alive there exists the hope for redemption. This is about more than a father and son though. It is about the safety of thousands. Yes, he is angry and grieving, but so are all of those who have lost loved ones to Al Qaeda. Osama Bin Laden chose this end for himself without regard for the pain it would cause those who loved him. His son should be angry at him for that, not us.

11 May 2011 08:03 #3 by Nobody that matters
There is a difference between a criminal act and a declaration of war. Osama Bin Laden declared war on the US. That makes him a viable target.

If he had simply been deemed a criminal, then he should have been tried in a court of law before he was shot.

The son has taken a stance against all violence. Admirable, but simplistic and somewhat naieve.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

11 May 2011 08:11 #4 by Rick
Mark my words, one day Omar will celebrate the acts of his father who will be the MLK of the Middle East. History seems to be easily twisted and forgotten these days.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 May 2011 08:38 #5 by FredHayek
The more I learn about this raid, the more distasteful it becomes to me. In the face of limited resistance, they really should have captured instead of killing OBL. It they were able to extract all the intelligence without incident, adding a bound Osama would have been pretty easy.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 May 2011 08:49 #6 by chickaree
I think capturing Bin Laden would have set off a series of hostage takings with demands for his release. Not a good scenario. I think his death was the best of a series of bad options.

11 May 2011 08:52 #7 by Nmysys
I agree with your assessment SS109. I have been trying to say exactly that since the attack, though most likely not with your well thought out phrasing.

Today, it still doesn't make sense to me. Though most here would not agree, I really don't like seeing conspiracies in everything, am not really a birther, though I do want to know the truth about our President. Though I praise the Navy SEALS for their involvement and heroic actions, there is still something amiss in all of this, especially since the accounts from that day continue to change or evolve.

Begrudgingly I have to also agree with CriticalBill in his prediction that Omar Bin Laden will someday celebrate his father. I believe that Our actions in Pakistan two weeks ago will come back to haunt us.

11 May 2011 08:56 #8 by major bean
I feel that Omar should have been silent concerning the death of Osama. The fact that he made a statement questioning the U.S. killing of Osama indicates, to me, that his understanding of justice is lacking.
The immuntable result of the path chosen by his father should have caused Omar to accept the inevitable conclusion with resignation.

Regards,
Major Bean

11 May 2011 12:52 #9 by navycpo7

Nmysys wrote: I agree with your assessment SS109. I have been trying to say exactly that since the attack, though most likely not with your well thought out phrasing.

Today, it still doesn't make sense to me. Though most here would not agree, I really don't like seeing conspiracies in everything, am not really a birther, though I do want to know the truth about our President. Though I praise the Navy SEALS for their involvement and heroic actions, there is still something amiss in all of this, especially since the accounts from that day continue to change or evolve.

Begrudgingly I have to also agree with CriticalBill in his prediction that Omar Bin Laden will someday celebrate his father. I believe that Our actions in Pakistan two weeks ago will come back to haunt us.

OK for some understanding here.

1. He was the enemy, he declared war on the United States. What part is not understood here.

2. You, ss109, myself etc, were not there with Seal team 6. They were onsite, made split decisions, and since they were there they had to make decisions in a split second, with events happening what to do or not to do. Monday morning quarterbacks don't work here.

He was shot and killed. Do we in the US think this will go without retaliation, Hell No. Personally they should have just shoved him into the metal grinder onboard, (it is used to shred metal into very small peices straight into the ocean.) Hell they gave a proper burial that was not deserved.

As for the Pakistani's, yea they knew nothing of him being there, and that all those people going in and out of the compound. You keep thinking that. He was being helped by someone in thier government or ISI or military. But they knew. I think we should give Pakistan no more aid and let them go on their way.

11 May 2011 13:19 #10 by Jekyll
I will have to agree with navycpo, except the part about the metal shredder. We should always put ourselves above the tyranny of evil men. Stay civil when the tyrants won't. Course, we could've put 'em in a burlap sack and dropped him from a heli (nice low altitude stealthily) into his home village for everyone to do whatever with. Anyways, he was vile, and now he's gone. Another radical will take his place and the saga of war will continue. Nothing good our way comes, but we shall persevere, cause we are in it for the long haul. STNTS! (Support the Troops, Not The Suits!)

Oh yeah, and no more aid for anyone! Enough is ENOUGH!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds