Lifeguarding in OC is lucrative; some make over $200K

11 May 2011 09:11 #1 by Grady
High pay and benefits for lifeguards in Newport Beach is the latest example of frustrating levels of compensation for public employees. More than half the city’s full-time lifeguards are paid a salary of over $100,000 and all but one of them collect more than $100,000 in total compensation including benefits.

When thinking about career options with high salaries, lifeguarding is probably not one of the first jobs to come to mind. But it apparently should. In one of Orange County’s most desirable beach destinations, Newport Beach, lifeguards are compensated all too well; especially compared with the county annual median household income of $71,735.

It might be time for a career change.
Link to the Story

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 May 2011 09:21 #2 by BearMtnHIB
Gee - and as a kid who spent time on Newport beach, I always thought they made about 5 bucks an hour- and they only work about 4 months out of the year.

Guess I should have been a government employee in Orange County.

11 May 2011 09:28 #3 by HEARTLESS
And California is going bankrupt, hmm, I wonder why?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

11 May 2011 09:42 #4 by Nmysys
BearMtn:

That's all they did make back in the 50s. I worked at Huntington Beach, when I wasn't surfing.

11 May 2011 10:20 #5 by BearMtnHIB
I spent alot of time at Huntington & Newport as a youngster. Used to fish off the pier at Huntington - sometimes all night.

11 May 2011 10:37 #6 by Rick
It's little things like this that only come to light now that shows how messed up the government is, state and federal. The people never get a say in what they pay these employees with their taxes, it's some government schmuck or commitee that makes the decision. Even with California as a working example, our "leaders" in Washington still can't figure out why this country is going broke.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 May 2011 10:38 #7 by FredHayek
Hey, it takes a lot of money to hire Hasselhof and Pam Anderson!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 May 2011 11:10 #8 by ScienceChic

CriticalBill wrote: It's little things like this that only come to light now that shows how messed up the government is, state and federal. The people never get a say in what they pay these employees with their taxes, it's some government schmuck or commitee that makes the decision. Even with California as a working example, our "leaders" in Washington still can't figure out why this country is going broke.

I remember when the banks got bailed out and there was an outcry because the government wanted to impose limits on the bonuses of CEO's of those companies, saying that it wasn't Big Brother's place to make that decision even though it was taxpayer money that saved their a$$es.

I agree that government pay, and waste (inefficiency, bureaucracy, etc), is something that needs to be addressed, but so too does compensation everywhere. And how to go about setting limits for occupational pay when different areas of the country have different standards of living? $200K may sound like a lot, but in OC, can a person even afford a house there on that salary? I don't know, I'm just asking to show a point - back when I was in SF, I remember news stories about teachers in San Jose making $60K/year and living in homeless shelters with their kids because it wasn't enough for rent, food, and utilities - that's just sick. They were hard-working Americans, trying to earn a decent living, and not be on welfare, but just couldn't - they all can't move out of San Jose and find jobs elsewhere or there are no teachers available for the schools for the families who live there. What's the answer? Our whole society has become overrun with greed, and ridiculous compensation for certain occupations, and inadequate compensation for too many more, and I'm not sure that there's an easy or obvious fix for it. Any ideas?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds