Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election

15 Jun 2010 15:15 #1 by The Viking
Welcome to America. You get 6 votes each in a heavily hispanic district to help and get more Hispanics elected. Hasta la vista America as we know it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_ ... s_election

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jun 2010 15:19 #2 by FredHayek
The Supremes need to shut this down right now.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Jun 2010 15:22 #3 by The Viking
And people wonder why race keeps coming up. It is because the people who don't want race to be an issue keep making it an issue and giving people of different races special rights and privilages over our Constitution. You need to treat all men equal then racism will finally have the chance to fade away!

15 Jun 2010 16:57 #4 by PrintSmith
From what I read, it isn't just Hispanics or heavily Hispanic areas that get to vote 6 times, it's everyone in the area. The whole "disparate impact" tomfoolery associated with the Civil Rights legislation needs to go - and quickly. Granted, this is New York, the heart of progressive ideology, but really now, why is it the fault of the voters that no Hispanic/Latino/nonWhite person has ever been elected? If the Hispanic/Latino/nonWhite population were more diligent in getting to the ballot box on election day, perhaps such shenanigans wouldn't be necessary for the nanny government to find a way for a Hispanic/Latino/nonWhite person to get elected..........

15 Jun 2010 17:15 - 15 Jun 2010 17:32 #5 by The Viking
Actually the story says that of the 30,000 residents about half are Hispanic. So that does give them an advantage with 6 votes to vote for the 2 Hispanic candidates. Example. There are 13 people running and 2 are Hispanic. Those 2 can get 3 votes each from the Hispanic voters just to get one into office. While the rest of the votes will be divided amoung the other candidates.

If it were a prodominantly black or hispanic community with many white people living there and no white person had ever been elected, do you think they would vote to give extra votes to everyone so they could get a white person voted in to that office? That way all the white people could put all 6 votes on the white candidate to help him win. Is that fair?

15 Jun 2010 17:24 #6 by 2wlady
And you're surprised? That's been happening since we've had elections.

Look at how LBJ got into the Senate. The missing ballot box incident.

Plenty of dead people still vote.

I'm not saying it's right. We need to be ever vigilant.

15 Jun 2010 17:38 #7 by The Viking

Satchmo wrote: And you're surprised? That's been happening since we've had elections.

Look at how LBJ got into the Senate. The missing ballot box incident.

Plenty of dead people still vote.

I'm not saying it's right. We need to be ever vigilant.

No this wasn't people sneaking in votes. It was ordered by the judge to help get Hispanics into office.

Federal Judge Stephen Robinson said that violated the Voting Rights Act, and he approved a remedy suggested by village officials: a system called cumulative voting, in which residents get six votes each to apportion as they wish among the candidates.

16 Jun 2010 05:54 #8 by 2wlady
I'm still not surprised. There are plenty of crooked judges.

It's horrendous that it's so in-your-face.

16 Jun 2010 07:00 #9 by Wayne Harrison
I'm planning on still voting when I'm dead.

16 Jun 2010 07:13 #10 by The Viking
I am planning on registering my dogs this election. :dog: rundog:

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds