Germany to eliminate nuclear power

01 Jun 2011 11:01 #11 by FredHayek

TPP wrote: Good for them, now all they have to do is get Rid of ALL the Americam Bases!!!!

:wave: I don't think that will reduce energy consumption by 20%.

Bad strategy depending on other countries for your power, if something happens, your supplier will keep their own grid up before selling you what's left.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jun 2011 11:41 #12 by TPP
NO, I agree, but it will help U.S. with our $$$$$ problems.
Come to think of it wouldn't help save energy in Germany, getting rid of all the American bases that use the energy now?

01 Jun 2011 16:07 #13 by Martin Ent Inc
Please pass the candles.

01 Jun 2011 17:07 #14 by TPP
Anytime, got plenty, & can make them too....

01 Jun 2011 17:11 #15 by otisptoadwater
Radiation kills E-Coli right? http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/06/0 ... americans/ Might be a good move to keep the nukes around for a little longer. Now how old is that case of Warsteiner I have in the beer fridge?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Jun 2011 01:34 #16 by ScienceChic
Got this from a friend of mine:

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/37693/page1/
What Will a Nuclear-Free Germany Cost?
Merkel's plan to exchange nuclear reactors for offshore wind farms and a stronger grid could cost more than expected.
By Peter Fairley
June 3, 2011

German Chancellor Angela Merkel this week released a detailed proposal to close all of Germany's 17 nuclear reactors by 2022. Merkel promises an orderly transition to replace nuclear power, which accounts for nearly one-quarter of the country's supply, with renewable power. But opposition from reactor operators could inflate the cost of that transition.

The proposal could have a number of impacts on Germany's energy supply. Federal Economics Minister Philipp Rösler has estimated that the plan would raise power costs to German consumers by roughly one cent per kilowatt-hour, which translates to an annual increase of roughly 35 to 40 Euros ($50 to $57) per household. But Rösler's modest price tag assumes that the government will defray the cost of building offshore wind farms—currently Germany's smallest power source—to provide one-fifth of generation within two decades.

Blackouts are a near-term concern because, under Merkel's plan, Germany's eight oldest reactors—seven of which she ordered offline for safety inspections in March, and another undergoing maintenance—would never run again, and ramping up supply from other sources could prove difficult. Merkel's plan seeks to counter the blackout threat over the next two years by keeping some of the shuttered reactors in "cold reserve," ready to be restarted in a pinch.

"We need an entirely new architecture for our energy system," Merkel acknowledged on Monday in a statement distributed by Germany's embassies.

Andreas Kraemer, director of the Berlin- and Washington-based Ecologic Institute , is hopeful that Germany will take greater advantage of energy conservation options and rely on more distributed forms of renewable power generation that consume waste and biomass. However, Germany could also end up relying more heavily on coal-fired power, which provided 43 percent of electrical generation in 2010.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Jul 2019 10:24 #18 by FredHayek
I was just in Germany, the Netherlands, and Norway. Tons of wind farms both on land and at sea. But also many natural gas and offshore oil wells. I think France is smarter to keep their nuclear going. Much more dependable than wind and solar. Norway relies on hydro power but even that is dependent on the weather. if the rain and snow don't arrive, neither will their electricity.

09 Jul 2019 21:47 #19 by Rick
How's the cutting energy use by 20% looking for Germany?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Jul 2019 15:14 #20 by FredHayek

Rick wrote: How's the cutting energy use by 20% looking for Germany?

Britain is facing the same issues as its nuclear power plants age out. I communicate often with a Venezuelan who says blackouts really kill the economy and life very difficult, especially in this modern age. People and businesses are forced to buy generators that are much less efficient and more polluting.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds