Germany to eliminate nuclear power

26 Aug 2022 14:12 #31 by FredHayek
Germany is also looking at shutting down industry this Winter to preserve the natural gas for consumers. Will businesses have to start laying off workers as temperatures decline?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2022 09:59 #32 by ScienceChic

Rick wrote: Funny how the left learners on this site avoid these truths like the plague.

You know, it pisses me off when you lump people into boxes and neglect to read or believe exactly what's been posted before.

oil from bugs? - posted 2011

ScienceChic wrote: I'm one of those that's still for nuclear power plants, despite the risks. They are much safer than a generation ago, and are an essential piece of the non-fossil fuel energy package required to produce the amount of energy we will need in the future. Rockdoc stated it well in another thread that all forms of energy generation come with their own specific negative and positive consequences, and that's just life. What I am relieved to read is that Japan's energy crunch is held in check in part by the big investment that they've made in wind power - energy production must be diversified in order to best meet our needs, and not impact the earth as thoughtlessly as we have been doing. These synthetic microbes hold great promise, but always must be handled with care (a good way to live life, as well).

China wants more nuclear plants - posted 2013

ScienceChic wrote: I vaguely recall a news story about Japan planning to replace the nuclear plants that were wiped out by the tsunami with ocean wind farms. I'm not as thrilled about plans for nuclear power generation until we figure out a safe solution of what to do with the radioactive waste, but recognize that it has to be a part of the solution of getting us off of fossil fuels for now. Good for China for working on this, they are consuming way too much coal as it is.

Shhhhh! There's A Communist Living In The W.H. - posted in 2011

ScienceChic wrote: <snip>
* Lift government roadblocks to the use of coal and nuclear power. More nuclear is already in the works, it could stand a boost though. :thumbsup: More coal plants better mean CCS fast-tracked.
<snip>

It’s time for a President that recognizes the free market’s power and innovative spirit by unleashing its full potential to produce affordable, environmentally sound, and reliable energy. Energy has not been and will not be free market anytime in the foreseeable future - low energy costs are what drive economies and growth, governments can't afford high costs. Let's stop with the pretty-sounding talk, and get realistic with our goals and policies. Yes, it would be nice if the energy produced were "environmentally sound", but that's not even possible with any alternative source - there's always a downside. It must be implemented in the right areas where it will be most effective and least damaging, is what should be said. Reliable would mean fossil fuels for now, but that reliability will end in mere decades if we continue status-quo consumption. Innovative spirit means ramping up funding for alternative energy research and subsidizing implementation of production right now, not 20 years from now.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Aug 2022 10:26 #33 by ScienceChic
Germany's energy policy should have raised many questions as to how connected their politicians were with corrupt Russian companies. Shutting down their nuclear plants is beyond dumb, it's outright harmful to their own citizens and benefits the Kremlin, especially after they pushed for Nord Stream 2 approval. There should be a whole lot of deeper investigation into it all.

Why is Biden Kowtowing to the Kremlin?
John Schindler | May 18, 2021

The problem is, his obnoxious bluster aside, Trump was substantially correct in his scathing comments about Germany. Berlin’s political elite, across party lines, really is deeply enmeshed with the Kremlin financially, while the Bundeswehr has become a joke inside NATO after a quarter-century of underfunding, something which Merkel has done nothing serious to turn around, despite a decade of promises to do exactly that. NATO’s eastern members doubt that Germany would race to their aid in the event of Russian aggression, and such doubts are well founded.

Then there’s the problem of Nord Stream 2 itself, whose company is majority-owned by Gazprom, the Russian state energy giant. Functionally, Nord Stream 2 equals the Kremlin, and everybody knows this.

Not to mention that the timing of this decision is suspect. Germany has federal elections coming in just four months, and polls show that the Greens are expected to do unprecedentedly well, indeed, they appear likely to be kingmakers after the votes are counted. This is important because the Greens are the only major German party that takes issue with Putin’s regime and its bad human rights record. Indeed, the Greens have promised to kill Nord Stream 2 after the September elections. Biden’s decision to go easy on the Kremlin here, before German elections, constitutes a needless gift to Putin.

The Biden administration is comprised heavily of Obama retreads, the people who got Russia wrong through two terms, appeasing Putin repeatedly, culminating in the 2016 debacle that gave us President Trump. It was to be hoped that they had learned their painful lesson, that the Kremlin plays hardball and only responds to strength, but perhaps that’s not the case.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Aug 2022 11:43 #34 by ramage
" Trump was substantially correct in his scathing comments about Germany. Berlin’s political elite, across party lines, really is deeply enmeshed with the Kremlin financially, "

"The Biden administration is comprised heavily of Obama retreads, the people who got Russia wrong through two terms, appeasing Putin repeatedly, culminating in the 2016 debacle that gave us President Trump"

Thank you, SC.

27 Aug 2022 12:25 #35 by FredHayek
Great point about German politicians being way too cozy with Russia. And letting the nation become way too dependent on foreign sources of energy.

29 Aug 2022 19:18 #36 by Rick
Oh I’m sorry you’re passed off SC, I’d love to discuss everything “green@ with you one day if you’d participate a little more.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Aug 2022 08:17 #37 by homeagain
May I suggest u and others READ THE LINKS posted about a specific subject....if u keep up with the topic,many thoughts have been posted WITH links, but somehow those links r overlooked and then the pissing match starts.

I believe Happy Camper pointed that out awhile back.....other posters just give up,because they see the futility
of attempting aTRUE conversation.(POINT, I posted that the student loan ,as written, is unconstitutional...I
provided a link,BUT YET there is this "king" reference within in your topic,as a reply. (which,by the way, I REPLIED BACK,READ THE RESPONSE)

30 Aug 2022 09:20 #38 by FredHayek
I hope Governor Polis and other Colorado leaders encourage start up nuclear plants in the state. The new technology creates much less nuclear waste and is so much more dependable than solar and wind, and cleaner than coal.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds