oil from bugs?

24 Mar 2011 11:51 #1 by Blazer Bob
oil from bugs? was created by Blazer Bob
Synthetic Genomics

=====

"La Jolla-based Synthetic Genomics, a developer of genomics technology for the biofuels industry, has now raised $35M of its ongoing $50M funding round, according to a recent regulatory filing from the company. Synthetic Genomics is backed by ExxonMobil, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Meteor Group, Biotechonomy LLC and Plenus, S.A., BP plc, and ACGT Sdn Bd. The firm is headed by J. Craig Venter, the inventor of DNA sequencing. The firm is currently focused on using genetics technology to modify microalgae and cyanobacteria to more efficiently convert carbon dioxide into cellular oils and long-chain hydrocarbons, for use in the biofuels and chemicals industry. ExxonMobil and Synthetic Genomics have said that ExxonMobil is investing up to $300M in the firm around their joint efforts.

=====

http://www.jcvi.org/ "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Mar 2011 11:55 #2 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic oil from bugs?
Once again, Sci Fi coming to life! What took us so long?

24 Mar 2011 11:57 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic oil from bugs?
Not just oil - they want to make drugs that way too. They've successfully created a whole bacteria genome from scratch, and with Venter heading it, have a good shot at accomplishing their goals - he's smart and driven. As long as they follow strict safety guidelines and don't ever let these bugs out, although I think that's an impossible goal (the bacteria are being engineered so that they cannot survive on their own outside of a petri dish, but life always finds a way - a little horizontal gene transfer could easily overcome that limitation). I'm still leery of the technology, but think we must take the risk.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Mar 2011 12:06 #4 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic oil from bugs?

Science Chic wrote: Not just oil - they want to make drugs that way too. They've successfully created a whole bacteria genome from scratch, and with Venter heading it, have a good shot at accomplishing their goals - he's smart and driven. As long as they follow strict safety guidelines and don't ever let these bugs out, although I think that's an impossible goal (the bacteria are being engineered so that they cannot survive on their own outside of a petri dish, but life always finds a way - a little horizontal gene transfer could easily overcome that limitation). I'm still leery of the technology, but think we must take the risk.

Got a fever? I can cure that... Here, take this bug poop.

:biggrin:

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

24 Mar 2011 12:47 #5 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic oil from bugs?
Ehhh, you eat a burger with bug parts in it - why not processed bug poop to cure you of something?

24 Mar 2011 12:50 #6 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic oil from bugs?

Science Chic wrote: Not just oil - they want to make drugs that way too. They've successfully created a whole bacteria genome from scratch, and with Venter heading it, have a good shot at accomplishing their goals - he's smart and driven. As long as they follow strict safety guidelines and don't ever let these bugs out, although I think that's an impossible goal (the bacteria are being engineered so that they cannot survive on their own outside of a petri dish, but life always finds a way - a little horizontal gene transfer could easily overcome that limitation). I'm still leery of the technology, but think we must take the risk.

Amazing, isn't it? We have some folks who think that nuclear power plants are not safe and then there are those willing to risk an Andromeda Strain by creating their own designer bacterium. I was watching something last night about a group of scientists who attempted to drill below the earth's crust. Folks worry about an oil leak and here we have a group trying to tap into the molten core of the plant in the name of science. What comes to mind is the proverbial wisdom contained in the warning that curiosity killed the cat.

Speaking of which - How's Sammy doing SC? CS was pondering that not too many days ago so I figured I'd take the opportunity to inquire.

24 Mar 2011 13:06 #7 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic oil from bugs?
He's great! Thanks for asking! He's coming out during the daytime quite often now, and is even brave enough to jump up in bed at night with the big, scary, loud hubby who hates cats right there! :VeryScared: :biggrin: The invitation to visit him still stands! :wave:

I'm one of those that's still for nuclear power plants, despite the risks. They are much safer than a generation ago, and are an essential piece of the non-fossil fuel energy package required to produce the amount of energy we will need in the future. Rockdoc stated it well in another thread that all forms of energy generation come with their own specific negative and positive consequences, and that's just life. What I am relieved to read is that Japan's energy crunch is held in check in part by the big investment that they've made in wind power - energy production must be diversified in order to best meet our needs, and not impact the earth as thoughtlessly as we have been doing. These synthetic microbes hold great promise, but always must be handled with care (a good way to live life, as well).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds