China wants more nuclear plants

21 Jan 2013 16:49 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://www.economist.com/news/china/215 ... back-front

"EARLIER this month work began at a big construction site in Shandong province, south-east of Beijing. In a country overflowing with infrastructure projects, that seems unremarkable. Except the workers are restarting construction of a nuclear plant using a radical new design developed by Beijing’s Tsinghua University. This showcase of “indigenous innovation” is the clearest signal yet that China’s nuclear power is about to take off again.

Before 2011 China’s leaders were dead keen on it, hoping to raise nuclear’s share of the country’s electricity mix from less than 2%. They saw it as central to energy and climate strategy, and a future export platform. Official plans called for expanding from just 10 gigawatts of capacity in 2010 to as much as 200 gigawatts by 2030.".........................
"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2013 17:00 #2 by FredHayek
70% of their electricity is provided by coal. Even the bigwigs are probably tired of the pollution in Beijing.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Jan 2013 17:03 #3 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic China wants more nuclear plants
They are correct in realizing Nuclear needs to be part of their future generation base load.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

21 Jan 2013 17:29 #4 by ScienceChic
I vaguely recall a news story about Japan planning to replace the nuclear plants that were wiped out by the tsunami with ocean wind farms. I'm not as thrilled about plans for nuclear power generation until we figure out a safe solution of what to do with the radioactive waste, but recognize that it has to be a part of the solution of getting us off of fossil fuels for now. Good for China for working on this, they are consuming way too much coal as it is.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Jan 2013 17:49 #5 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: I vaguely recall a news story about Japan planning to replace the nuclear plants that were wiped out by the tsunami with ocean wind farms. I'm not as thrilled about plans for nuclear power generation until we figure out a safe solution of what to do with the radioactive waste, but recognize that it has to be a part of the solution of getting us off of fossil fuels for now. Good for China for working on this, they are consuming way too much coal as it is.

Got a link to prove that? J/K. :woo hoo: I seem to recall that also. In the meantime last I heard they are rationing. How many wind mills does it take to replace nuc power plant?

So Japan and Germany are decommissioning them and China is building more. Is there any net change in the planets carbon footprint?

21 Jan 2013 18:04 #6 by ScienceChic
[lmgtfy:3papzp1h]Japan wind farm replace nuclear[/lmgtfy:3papzp1h] :wink: I would guess it depends on how well the wind blows at that location to generate equal amounts of power to the plants that were destroyed. Hopefully they use newer, more efficient wind mill designs too.

No, we're still increasing our carbon use and GHG ppm to the atmosphere thanks to India and China using big time and continued forest removal, among other things.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Jan 2013 14:08 #7 by Grady
:Off Topic
Don't tell anyone, but I am working on a matter/anti-matter reactor with a dilithium regulated reaction power source.

23 Jan 2013 07:39 #8 by FredHayek
Per the Week, pollution is getting so bad in Beijing that they can't land planes some times because of limited visibility.

A Chinese Communist rush program to bring nuclear plants on line is a little scary to me. And poor Japan is downwind.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Jan 2013 07:44 #9 by Rick

FredHayek wrote: Per the Week, pollution is getting so bad in Beijing that they can't land planes some times because of limited visibility.

A Chinese Communist rush program to bring nuclear plants on line is a little scary to me. And poor Japan is downwind.

I would hope that they build those plants better than they do the products the sell to us.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

23 Jan 2013 11:07 #10 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic China wants more nuclear plants
Nuclear waste, as lethal and dangerous as it is, is still much lower qty. and easier to contain on the ground than millions of tons of C02 loose in the atmosphere. China has also built a massive Hydro project, saw it on the History channel, pretty impressive.

The limits of solar and wind are they are not stable enough 24/7. They require parallel natural gas generators to kick in when the sun doesn't shine or wind is calm. Or some other expensive storage technology.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds