How strongly do you believe in this statement??

20 Jun 2010 22:14 #1 by The Viking
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

In light of all the bailouts, and handouts going on, and new social programs all the time, I was just curious where people stood on this statement. On a scale of 1-10 how much do you agree with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2010 06:52 #2 by LopingAlong
I didn't vote because I don't think it should be a mandated thing--IOW, I don't believe the government is responsible for telling those with more to give it to those with less. But if people so choose, that is a different thing. If the statement is in context of those with MUST give to those without, then I put it at a zero or a one (taxes could be allocated to help seniors and others in need, say). Clear as mud as usual, huh? :)

21 Jun 2010 07:00 #3 by LOL
I'd rather see Bill Gates and Warren Buffet give away their fortunes to charities and foundations as they see fit, like they are already doing. Instead of it going to the big government general fund.

The question is too simplified for an answer.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

21 Jun 2010 08:10 #4 by The Viking
So far no one believes in this congress's and Obama's beliefs, of taxing the wealthy to give to those who need it.

21 Jun 2010 08:46 #5 by FredHayek
Wealthy? Hard to define. I think we would all be considered super wealthy compared to the poor of Bangladesh. Do we have a duty to transfer our wealth to them? I don't think so.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Jun 2010 09:24 #6 by BearMtnHIB
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" (or needs) is a slogan popularized by Karl Marx in 1875.

It is the foundation of a political system we now call "communism" or "Marxism". The beginning of the statement "From each" is a clue of the intent - government will use the force of the state to ensure that each producer is relieved of any gain above what the government deems is each persons "need".

So - for me, I can't find one single redeeming value in this statement worth consideration - it's all pure CRAP!! I voted for zero.

The first part of the statement removes the individual's choice. "From each" leaves no freedom of choice - everyone will be fleeced. Then "to each according to his need" means that someone other than the individual (the government again) will be determining what my (or your) actual needs are.

I don't know about all of you - I choose to retain both of those freedoms for myself. I see our choices and freedom slipping away though, everytime another tax is passed, everytime another regulation is legislated.

21 Jun 2010 10:02 #7 by Tilt
Joe
$$$ to big government General fund. The money$
word has been changed to Grant giving. And big government
takes our money and gives Grants to friends/butt slappin
buddies.
Actually its a old word popular in the 30's-50's,name was coined
by Frank Costello(Grants). We(mob)just collect from the
politcians profits and favors(Grants) :biggrin:

21 Jun 2010 10:11 #8 by The Viking

BearMtnHIB wrote: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" (or needs) is a slogan popularized by Karl Marx in 1875.

It is the foundation of a political system we now call "communism" or "Marxism". The beginning of the statement "From each" is a clue of the intent - government will use the force of the state to ensure that each producer is relieved of any gain above what the government deems is each persons "need".

So - for me, I can't find one single redeeming value in this statement worth consideration - it's all pure CRAP!! I voted for zero.

The first part of the statement removes the individual's choice. "From each" leaves no freedom of choice - everyone will be fleeced. Then "to each according to his need" means that someone other than the individual (the government again) will be determining what my (or your) actual needs are.

I don't know about all of you - I choose to retain both of those freedoms for myself. I see our choices and freedom slipping away though, everytime another tax is passed, everytime another regulation is legislated.

I couldn't have described it or said it better! :thumbsup:

21 Jun 2010 10:13 #9 by The Viking

BearMtnHIB wrote: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" (or needs) is a slogan popularized by Karl Marx in 1875.

But what is so fuuny is that no one really believes this or wants it but somehow Obama has sold the snake oil saying it is not infringing on anyones 'rights'. And when Obama says it, then so many Americans say it is OK. Which in essence is agreeing with this statement.

23 Jun 2010 21:35 #10 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
It's called group mentality. People will agree to things in a group that if they were alone they absolutely would not agree to. Monkey see, monkey do.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds