I am not against hunting but...... wow.

14 Jan 2012 12:34 #11 by znovkovic

Arlen wrote: I have hunted grizzly only once at Hitchenbrook Island, Alaska in 1964. I was walking through willows whenever this big fellow erupted from the brush and charged. You must believe that I did not crap my pants although I do not have proof of this, only my sincere assurance. The next few seconds are not a distinct memory for me but I shot until the bear fell. My hair stood on end and I was almost in a state of vertigo.

they sure as sh.t look bigger in person than the Yogi Bear/Boo-Boo cartoons!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jan 2012 12:43 #12 by znovkovic
i remember working on my scooter a few years back in the garage and in the corner of my eye a black bear walked within 20 feet of where i was sitting in the garage! my first thought was i am f'd and froze to simply watch it continue on its merry way down towards deer creek? didn't poop myself but my heart jumped surely well over 200 bpm and was just awstruck.

the most amount of bear sightings that i witnessed in my life was in the parachute, co area. we actually witnessed a 300# black bear stop in the middle of the haul road and unload the largest mound of berries that i could ever imagine an animal could unload!!!!! lmao...

14 Jan 2012 16:05 #13 by bailey bud
I enjoy hunting - but really could never enjoy the idea of shooting a bear.

My family roots are in the Bristol Bay (Alaska) - one of Alaska's premium bear hunting locations.

My uncle used to hunt brown bear primarily for the fur (you can make a lot of clothing with bear hide). I suppose I can understand that.

These days, most of the family sticks with Caribou --- they don't really like the trophy hunting mentality of Brown bear hunts. Nobody complains that much, though --- hunters pay the guides generously - it's a major source of money in the village.

I noticed the narrator is holding a shotgun in his arms --- you generally don't shoot bear with a shotgun.

14 Jan 2012 16:56 #14 by Martin Ent Inc

bailey bud wrote: I enjoy hunting - but really could never enjoy the idea of shooting a bear.

My family roots are in the Bristol Bay (Alaska) - one of Alaska's premium bear hunting locations.

My uncle used to hunt brown bear primarily for the fur (you can make a lot of clothing with bear hide). I suppose I can understand that.

These days, most of the family sticks with Caribou --- they don't really like the trophy hunting mentality of Brown bear hunts. Nobody complains that much, though --- hunters pay the guides generously - it's a major source of money in the village.

I noticed the narrator is holding a shotgun in his arms --- you generally don't shoot bear with a shotgun.

It is a double rifle DUH.
And the guides usually cary a 12 ga slug gun for back up with their clients on brown bear hunts.

14 Jan 2012 18:55 #15 by bailey bud
thanks...

Haven't seen a double rifle, before (names like Merkel are a bit out of my league)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/double_rifles.htm

14 Jan 2012 19:05 #16 by Martin Ent Inc
See,,, learn something new everyday...

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds