It's Sunday. Let's talk about Envy.

29 Jan 2012 20:14 #21 by archer
Picking and choosing quotes that fit your own ideology is hardly a discussion. What we get is a battle of the quotes. The web has reduced us to debate with sound bites.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jan 2012 22:37 #22 by Mary Scott

LadyJazzer wrote: No, Clinton was forced to sing the Glass-Steagall Act repeal... (WHich I posted a link to...) Ya THINK I might have been talking about that?

Yeah, and I specifically brought the subject back to "envy"...

You might actually try comprehending the post before you revert to "LJ-Derangement-Syndrome"....

...and the date it was signed really doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it was the genesis of the fraud and corruption in the banking industry to push phony paper and make billions off of it....other than it's a fact that it was Gingrich and the GOP-losers that rammed it through.

So, yeah, let's vote in guys who want to go right back to what caused the meltdown in the first place.

My point exactly. And, according to the article I quoted, then Senator Obama was a major backer of the legislation and received more money from Fanny May than any other candidate.

30 Jan 2012 07:33 #23 by Rockdoc

swampfish wrote: You are spot on, Mary Scott... which is why I advocate pestering our state and federal reps non-stop for government reform, and we can start with demanding that the federal government get out of private enterprise - running GSAs (government-sponsored agencies) like Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, which created the housing debacle that sunk our economy; and the Sallie Mae, creating the high tuition fiasco, wherein the government decided to loan anyone any amount of funding for higher education and the schools turned right around and raised their rates to profit as much as possible by the government's decision.

We're in the economic mess we're in for two reasons: greed among the citizens and lust for power among the bureaucrats. Too many of us want too many handouts without thinking about where all the money really comes from (every federal dollar out there came out of an American taxpayer's pocket; contrary to popular belief, the Federal Government does not generate any income whatsoever). The same people taking the handouts gave no thought to how their actions might affect their neighbor next door and their community. And too many of us (bankers and higher education administrators for starters) acted without conscience to suck up the flow of federal tax dollars heading out to fund bad housing purchases and overpriced degree programs - and lots of other government-funded and consequently overpriced federal 'help' programs, for that matter.

The second reason we're in the economic mess we're in is because these same dumb-assed federal decisions to lend to anyone in whatever amount for a great house or a first-class education - diluted the worth of the American dollar in the private marketplace and put a much larger sector of the American public under the spell of the feds as they participate in one entitlement program or another. Well done, Washington. You've got the economy on its knees, the citizenry divided and the whole country turning to you in one way or another for the answers and/or money. That is serious power.

On this we are in total agreement.

30 Jan 2012 07:45 #24 by Rick

archer wrote: Picking and choosing quotes that fit your own ideology is hardly a discussion. What we get is a battle of the quotes. The web has reduced us to debate with sound bites.

Well archer, I do like the quotes because imo, they are acurrate. I'm not looking for a "quote battle", just gave three examples from three completely different people.

Just thought it would be nice to keep this thread on topc since it drifted off as usual.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds