Republicans Laugh, But Women Relate to 'The Life of Julia'

07 May 2012 20:00 #11 by FredHayek
Already women are more likely to go to college than men and have lost less jobs in the Obama recession and this is how the Dems appeal to them?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 May 2012 09:05 #12 by cydl
I don't always agree with Mr. Bennett's views, but I do here:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/09/opinion/bennett-obama-campaign/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"Julia's happily-ever-after tale is remarkably void of reality. Nowhere in her fictional life is it mentioned that Head Start has done little, if anything, to improve elementary education, that she will likely graduate with $25,000 in student loan debt, that she has a 50% chance of being unemployed or underemployed after college, that Medicare and Social Security are headed toward insolvency, and that her share of the national debt is $50,000 and growing."

09 May 2012 09:26 #13 by BearMtnHIB

"Julia's happily-ever-after tale is remarkably void of reality. Nowhere in her fictional life is it mentioned that Head Start has done little, if anything, to improve elementary education, that she will likely graduate with $25,000 in student loan debt, that she has a 50% chance of being unemployed or underemployed after college, that Medicare and Social Security are headed toward insolvency, and that her share of the national debt is $50,000 and growing."

That's right.
Our standard of living is falling - not rising- thanks to government. Julia's tale is just that- the rosy picture painted by big government- and the reality will be quite different. The more we depend on government- the worse off we will all be.
This photo is a few years out of date-

09 May 2012 11:30 #14 by PrintSmith

archer wrote:

Raees wrote:

FredHayek wrote: The sad thing about Julia is how incapable she is. Give me the strong women who are proud to do it on their own.

You mean like starting her own company?

Yeah ...I did that, as a single mom, and a liberal. It seems to me that it is the conservatives that want women to be dependent.

Au contraire mon amie - it is the party of Democrats who have consistently desired to see them dependent upon the government rather than themselves. Republicans desire for nothing more or less than for Julia to have the liberty to pursue her dreams.

It is the Pell Grant and guaranteed loan programs which have allowed universities to raise their tuition beyond affordability and thus increased the dependency upon these programs to be able to attend college to begin with. Prior to these programs being created by Democrat led majorities, tuition for Harvard in 1960 was $1520 per year - equivalent to roughly $12K in 2012 according to the inflation index. The actual cost for tuition at Harvard in 2012 is over $31K a year - 258% greater than inflation over the same period of time. Why? Because the more money that is poured into Pell Grants and guaranteed student loans, the more the colleges can raise their tuition without losing students. End the programs and the colleges and universities, both public and private, are going to have to price their product at a point where it can be afforded without those grants and loans. Direct federal subsidies of this kind for higher education have been harmful overall, not beneficial. The more the programs are expanded, the more harmful they become as the population becomes more dependent upon the programs rather than their own industry for the money to attend institutions of higher education.

President Obama's policies make Julia more dependent on the federal government to be able to afford to go to college - that is not a good thing for which he should be rewarded with reelection to his office; it is a bad thing for which he should not be rewarded with a second term.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds