RMoney Health Care Plan Nearly Doubles Family Insurance Cost

01 Oct 2012 19:57 #11 by PonyTail

Democracy4Sale wrote:

Romney Health Care Plan Nearly Doubles Family Insurance Costs: Study

With the news this week that there’s been net job growth during President Obama’s term, Mitt Romney lost one of his favorite critiques of the presidential incumbent. Not to worry though, there’s always Obamacare to criticize, right?

Maybe not so much. Under Romney’s proposed health care plan, American families buying non-group health insurance would pay nearly double what they pay under Obamacare, according to a new study by Families USA entitled "ObamaCare versus RomneyCare versus RomneyCandidateCare." That includes both comparative insurance premium payments as well as out-of-pocket expenses.

The study finds that while RomneyCare in Massachusetts bears many similarities to Obamacare, neither are very similar to what Romney’s health care plan would look like if he were elected. Among measures identified in the study, RomneyCandidateCare would repeal Obamacare, turn Medicaid into a block grant and add an income tax deduction for purchasing health coverage. As a result, the study reports, not only would American families pay more for coverage, many fewer Americans would have health insurance at all. By 2016, 41.9 million more people would be uninsured under Romney than with Obamacare.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... f=business

Oh, and the RMoney plan for the uninsured?...."Go to the Emergency Room."

..and "let the bastards freeze in the dark", and: "[M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

"Compassionate (vulture-capitalist) Conservatism" strikes again

Huffington Post? :lol:

I'll bet you've worn out the remote batteries going back and forth from NBC to MSNBC too. Still sucking on that same old :Koolaid: filled teat, I see.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Oct 2012 20:36 #12 by LadyJazzer
Thanks for your usual vacuous partisan comment... Down to your usual standard...

Let me know if you have a comment on the OP.. You know...The one about "Romney Health Care Plan Nearly Doubles Family Insurance Costs: Study"...by Families USA.

(Doesn't much matter if it shows up on HuffPo if it's from Reuters, AP, Bloomberg, NYTimes, ... On the other hand if it shows up on FauxNews, there's a good bet it's drivel from the Republican Party Channel...i.e., FauxNews...)

:lol:

But thanks for playing.

01 Oct 2012 21:01 #13 by Blazer Bob
rofllol Do you write for the onion?

Democracy4Sale wrote: Thanks for your usual vacuous partisan comment... Down to your usual standard...

Let me know if you have a comment on the OP.. .

01 Oct 2012 21:02 #14 by LadyJazzer
I don't need to... Reading this hysterically silly crap from the usual Righties is entertainment enough.

02 Oct 2012 05:44 #15 by FredHayek
I hope you send Arianna a nice fruit basket after the election for who many times you steal her stuff. But it is just like HuffPo's business platform get people to write stuff for you for free and Arianna makes the money. So all your slanted hit pieces are written by amateurs trying to make a big splash. Damn the facts and objectivity full speed ahead. At least Fox pays their blondes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Oct 2012 09:48 #16 by LadyJazzer
And all your slanted hit pieces are from FauxNews, Breitbart, RedState, WorldNutDaily, and all of the nutty right-wing sources you use...

Pot/Kettle/Black

02 Oct 2012 10:27 - 02 Oct 2012 10:28 #17 by FredHayek
Actually I refer to the Economist and NPR too. And you use Fox as a source when it suits your platform.

And Arianna was born in Greece so she would probably like a food basket from her homeland. :wink:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Oct 2012 10:28 #18 by LadyJazzer
I use Fox when it crams your own right-wing slanted "fair and balanced" hypocrisy down your throat.

02 Oct 2012 10:50 #19 by pineinthegrass
That Huff Post article is pretty much a puff piece with no details about Romney's plan.

If you want some more details, here is a much better article.

http://news.yahoo.com/analysis-romney-send-consumers-healthcare-bill-benefits-110405019.html

But as he prepares to face Obama in their first presidential debate on Wednesday, Romney is giving a few hints. The former Massachusetts governor's advisers say he would accelerate the use of high-deductible insurance plans that offer lower premiums but require beneficiaries to pay thousands of dollars more in out-of-pocket expenses than they would face under conventional coverage.

Yes, high-deductible plans can cost consumers thousands before the coverage kicks in, but you also have to consider the savings of such plans due to lower premiums and tax savings.

In our case, we have a choice of a high-deductible HSA and a conventional PPO. The HSA has a $2400 deductible, but the employee premiums are about $200/mo less than for the PPO, so just that alone covers the deductible. Plus the employer contributes about 1/2 of the deductible to our HSA (OK, not every employer will do that) which makes the high-deductible plan a no-brainer. And you can also add in hundreds of dollars in tax savings due to the HSA. Also the high-deductible has a lower maximum out of pocket expense than the PPO, though that won't be the case for everyone. High-deductible plans can sometimes cost more if a person is chronically ill (though not in our case), but if that happens the Romney plan still allows a more conventional policy. Most high-deductible plans I'm aware of (including ours) do cover preventitive care and cancer screening 100% before the deductible.

High-deductible plans will lower health costs. The consumer sees the actual bill and knows what everything costs. They can decide to shop around and get another quote if they want (which is what has driven down Lasic costs) or get a generic instead of a brand drug. You save money on the lower premiums and tend to look at the savings as your own money, so you tend to become more selective on how you spend it.

02 Oct 2012 11:19 - 02 Oct 2012 16:14 #20 by LOL
Good post Pine. I like HDP and HSAs, but my current plan is somehow not HSA qualified, so I can't have one. Thanks IRS!

Having a HSA requires some financial discipline which I guess the elites don't think we are smart enough to manage. I'd rather see everyone have the choice to pick whatever plan they like.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds