5 myths about unemployment

28 Jul 2010 20:39 #21 by Local_Historian
No - she's not on TANF.

She's in Greeley - but I doubt the state is having different requirements for different cities.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2010 09:45 #22 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic 5 myths about unemployment
I was on unemployment for a short time about 4.5 years ago. I did not have to take classes or perform community service. I did take resume writing and was involved in a group provided by Work Force, but that was my choice. Has it changed since then?

Also, I worked as a contractor for 6 months until the project ran out and the company was laying off their regular employees. I applied for unemployment and was told as a contractor I couldn't get it. However, my contracting company never informed me that the job was ending. I found out from the corporation I was supporting. That meant that I could get unemployment. These laws are really weird.

29 Jul 2010 10:04 #23 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic 5 myths about unemployment
Satchmo, I always assumed that if you were a W2 temp contractor for one of these agencies like Volt or Manpower, (pimp recruiters) that you could collect unemployment (after 6 months), but I haven't ever tried to. If you are an Independent Contractor (1099), then definitely no UI. I always consider myself in-between contracts rather than unemployed. I have also worked at companies that make you work reduced hours to cut their budgets. Companies generally treat contractors like low-lifes, but I just take the money and move on.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

29 Jul 2010 10:12 #24 by 2wlady
Joe, I hadn't done contracting before so it was all new to me. I had been an employee at companies all my life and took the contract position because it seemed the right fit and I needed a job. After that contract position, I went on unemployment, did a lot of learning, and found a full-time job that I love. The Work Force program I was in, for professionals in higher paying jobs, was priceless to me. I credit it for getting me to the top of pile of resumes and acing the interviews.

29 Jul 2010 10:17 #25 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic 5 myths about unemployment
Contracting is not for everyone. The money is good, and so is the variety and chance to work in other locations. My best contract was in San Diego for 8 months in the winter, loved it.

Good to hear the work programs are useful. Good luck.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

29 Jul 2010 13:26 #26 by Local_Historian

Satchmo wrote: Joe, I hadn't done contracting before so it was all new to me. I had been an employee at companies all my life and took the contract position because it seemed the right fit and I needed a job. After that contract position, I went on unemployment, did a lot of learning, and found a full-time job that I love. The Work Force program I was in, for professionals in higher paying jobs, was priceless to me. I credit it for getting me to the top of pile of resumes and acing the interviews.

Now that's a good thing - I like to hear that some of the programs actually work for people.

30 Jul 2010 07:58 #27 by 2wlady
We met every week and encouraged one another with ideas. Also, it brought me out of a negative to a positive viewpoint. That was a tremendous difference. In other words, I had hope again. It wasn't a touchy feely thing, but how to get a job, review of resume by people in the group, practice interviewing.

30 Jul 2010 09:59 #28 by Local_Historian

Satchmo wrote: We met every week and encouraged one another with ideas. Also, it brought me out of a negative to a positive viewpoint. That was a tremendous difference. In other words, I had hope again. It wasn't a touchy feely thing, but how to get a job, review of resume by people in the group, practice interviewing.

It got you focused and moving and doing again - I hear that - better than getting depressed and overwhelmed, much better.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds