time for Pressure Cooker registry

16 Apr 2013 16:02 #1 by bailey bud
We need to register pressure cookers......

I also think pressure cooker owners need to be trained properly and certified before they can have one.

Joking aside - I'm irritated as hell about people on planes panicking because there's two people on board speaking Arabic.
(the passengers were removed from the flight).

Hell - I was speaking Arabic last week with a nice kid from Saudi - on my flight from Chicago to Denver.

What the hell is wrong with speaking Arabic?

(I think it's simply being friendly - got a problem with that?).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Apr 2013 19:13 - 16 Apr 2013 20:07 #2 by FOS
It was unfortunate that those folks were treated that way. On the other side of the coin.....the country has just endured yet another attack (domestic or foreign) and people are very insecure about their safety. Is there a problem with using a little common sense under the circumstances. Wasn't the flight in question leaving Boston?
Weren't several of the very people directly impacted by the attack on board that plane?
I am not saying it was right BB but I just wonder if the 2 individuals on board have some responsibility.
I don't stand in line at the security check point at DIA and talk about weird stuff.

16 Apr 2013 19:28 #3 by Rick
Speaking about these pressure cookers... I keep hearing these talking heads on tv describing how easy it is to make a presssure cooker bomb (or other bombs with household chemicals). What purpose does it serve to describe these DIY bombs over the air to millions of people and potential terrorists? I see this type of weapon as far more dangerous than a gun because it is much easier for a coward to kill with it. The killer doesn't even have to be in the same state when the bomb goes off... at least when a nut has a gun, there's a very good chance he won't live to kill again.

I'd like to know what happens with the sale of new pressure cookers over the next few months. If those sales go way up, should we be concerned or just assume people are rediscovering a good way to tenderize cheap meat?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Apr 2013 19:35 #4 by archer
The "recipe" for making a pressure cooker bomb is readily available on the internet. Those who want to make a bomb don't need the media coverage to give them a new idea, they know where to go for it.

16 Apr 2013 19:44 #5 by Rick

archer wrote: The "recipe" for making a pressure cooker bomb is readily available on the internet. Those who want to make a bomb don't need the media coverage to give them a new idea, they know where to go for it.

Well I've been on the planet for 50 years and until yesterday, never heard of a pressure cooker bomb. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I don't have a source to prove it.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Apr 2013 19:52 #6 by Hoot Owl

Rick wrote:

archer wrote: The "recipe" for making a pressure cooker bomb is readily available on the internet. Those who want to make a bomb don't need the media coverage to give them a new idea, they know where to go for it.

Well I've been on the planet for 50 years and until yesterday, never heard of a pressure cooker bomb. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I don't have a source to prove it.

Try GOOGLE
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-575 ... s-in-2004/

16 Apr 2013 20:02 #7 by Blazer Bob

Those who want to make a bomb are not necessarily smart enough to know where to look to make a viable bomb. Look at the underwear and shoe bombers.

16 Apr 2013 20:08 #8 by Rick

Hoot Owl wrote:

Rick wrote:

Try GOOGLE
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-575 ... s-in-2004/

I'm not stupid, I'm fully aware of Google. I just never heard of a pressure cooker bomb until yesterday and never had a reason to look up every possible diy bomb. But thanks for the tip.

George Orwell

16 Apr 2013 20:23 #9 by Hoot Owl
I did not mean to imply you were stupid, my apology. I started typing in "pressure coo" and the instructions for the bomb came up, first. I dont want to know how to make one. My first thought was, where is the stove and the cord? Now who is the stupid one? :smackshead:

16 Apr 2013 20:35 #10 by FredHayek
Either the underwear or the shoe bomb, didn't go off because of excessive sweating. Bombs are pretty scary in my book, didn't the Weather Underground blow up a brownstone trying to build one? And wasn't Al Quaida's main bomb making expert missing fingers?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds