Economy vs. Deficit Reduction

01 May 2013 09:42 #41 by FredHayek
Silly claims? That is rich. Like I said, you can google baseline budgeting yourself.

And if you were a goverment bureau facing a slower rate of increase of budget, would you make the cuts minimal or try to prove that any reduction will put the public at risk
and show that your bureau is very important and needs even more money?

BTW, seen anyone whining about the "cuts" to the Department of Education? And what do they do anyway? It would be nice to sequester that whole bureau and let the states take over. Talk about redundancy.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2013 20:07 #42 by Something the Dog Said

FredHayek wrote: Silly claims? That is rich. Like I said, you can google baseline budgeting yourself.

And if you were a goverment bureau facing a slower rate of increase of budget, would you make the cuts minimal or try to prove that any reduction will put the public at risk
and show that your bureau is very important and needs even more money?

BTW, seen anyone whining about the "cuts" to the Department of Education? And what do they do anyway? It would be nice to sequester that whole bureau and let the states take over. Talk about redundancy.

So as usual, you have nothing.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

02 May 2013 20:11 #43 by FredHayek
Like goverment bureaus are going to publicly state they are making the most dramatic cuts they can.

Found baseline budgeting yet? Even Mother Jones should be able to tell you what this means.

03 May 2013 13:08 #44 by lionshead2010
I wish I knew more about economics so I could better understand what's behind these charts. It's interesting that as the Government's payrolls shrink, the overall private sector job market improves. I wonder what that means? :idea:

Private payrolls see rise, public drags again

The U.S. economy gained 165,000 jobs in April, led by an increase of 176,000 private jobs, while government payrolls fell 11,000, according to Friday data from the U.S. Department of Labor. Given the large federal spending cuts making up the sequester, as well as strained state and local budgets, economists expect government payrolls to continue to curb employment growth for some time. A question remains about the extent to which the tough fiscal environment will hit the private sector.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/see-th ... 2013-05-03

Why would the U.S. economy gain 166,000 jobs in April while the Government tightens its belt? It's a curious thing to me.

09 May 2013 15:39 #45 by Something the Dog Said
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us/de ... 1&_r=1&hp&

"WASHINGTON — The nation’s unemployment rate would probably be nearly a point lower, roughly 6.5 percent, and economic growth almost two points higher this year if Washington had not cut spending and raised taxes as it has since 2011, according to private-sector and government economists.

After two years in which President Obama and Republicans in Congress have fought to a draw over their clashing approaches to job creation and budget deficits, the consensus about the result is clear: Immediate deficit reduction is a drag on full economic recovery."

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

09 May 2013 16:28 #46 by LadyJazzer

Something the Dog Said wrote: www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us/deficit-re...agewanted=1&_r=1&hp&

"WASHINGTON — The nation’s unemployment rate would probably be nearly a point lower, roughly 6.5 percent, and economic growth almost two points higher this year if Washington had not cut spending and raised taxes as it has since 2011, according to private-sector and government economists.

After two years in which President Obama and Republicans in Congress have fought to a draw over their clashing approaches to job creation and budget deficits, the consensus about the result is clear: Immediate deficit reduction is a drag on full economic recovery."

Oh well.... It's not about "what's good for the country"...It's about "What can we do to ensure the total obstruction of anything positive getting done?" Obviously, that part is working... I can hardly wait for 2016... :biggrin:

14 May 2013 15:43 #47 by Something the Dog Said
The budget deficit for the current year is projected to come in well below what was estimated just a few months ago, according to a government study released Tuesday.
The Congressional Budget Office cites higher tax revenues and better-than-expected bailout repayments by mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as the key reasons for the improved outlook. The budget office now predicts a 2013 budget deficit of $642 billion, more than $200 billion below its February estimate. This year's shortfall would register at 4 percent of the economy, far less than the 10.1 percent experienced in 2009 when the government ran a record $1.4 trillion deficit.
Last year's deficit was $1.1 trillion, capping four consecutive trillion dollar-plus deficits during President Barack Obama's first term. Obama inherited an economy in recession, which stunted tax revenues for several years.
The deficit picture is expected to continue to improve next year and beyond, with the 2015 deficit now projected at $378 billion, just 2.1 percent of the economy. All told, the budget office predicts deficits over the coming decade of $6.3 trillion, down $522 billion from earlier projections.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... 42-billion

And what is driving down the deficit? Not austerity, but economic growth leading to higher revenues.

14 May 2013 17:22 #48 by FredHayek
Of course spending money we don't have will create more jobs! Even if they are green energy jobs that cost one million dollars each but eventually that debt has to be paid back or defaulted on and either one will crash the economy.

14 May 2013 17:28 #49 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: Of course spending money we don't have will create more jobs! Even if they are green energy jobs that cost one million dollars each but eventually that debt has to be paid back or defaulted on and either one will crash the economy.

Yes...It will... And "green jobs" would be at the bottom of the list. Since the "defaulted debt" has been shown to be nothing more than a Heritage Foundation/Club-For-Growth wet-dream, it's about time we created some more jobs. The report that they love to hang on to about "debt vs. economic growth" has been debunked about 5 different ways.

14 May 2013 17:38 #50 by FredHayek
Sorry I will trust my economics degree over your slanted unpaid interns. Ask Greece and Italy how high debt levels screw your economy and their per capital debt levels are below us.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds