Antarctic expedition scientists trapped in ice

05 Jan 2014 18:22 #31 by otisptoadwater

LOL wrote: What happens if the biggest and best ice-breaker gets stuck? Who ya gonna call?

Dial 1-800-USA-USCG of course:

Polar Star News

DEEP FREEZE 2014!

News Release

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Polar Star to assist vessels in Antarctica

ALAMEDA – The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Polar Star is responding to a Jan. 3rd request from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) to assist the Russian-Flagged Akademik Shokalskiy and Chinese-Flagged Xue Long that are reportedly ice-bound in the Antarctic. The Russian and Chinese Governments have also requested assistance from the United States.

http://www.uscg.mil/pacarea/cgcpolarstar/default.asp

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 May 2014 10:03 #32 by Blazer Bob
Then it is time to party. :BeerSalute

http://www.newser.com/story/186781/to-s ... lapse.html

"(NEWSER) – Two groups of scientists studying the West Antarctica ice sheet have come to the same chilling conclusion: The mighty glaciers have begun a thaw that will cause sea levels to rise 10 feet or more and there's nothing we can do about it. "A large sector of the West Antarctic ice sheet has gone into a state of irreversible retreat," says the lead author of one paper, explaining that warming waters are destabilizing the edge of a vast amount of ice and causing a slow collapse in a process he likens to uncorking a full bottle of wine that is resting on its side, Reuters reports."...

13 May 2014 10:40 - 13 May 2014 15:33 #33 by FredHayek
How confusing, this same shelf had trapped ships last winter and now it will disappear, despite winter starting in the southern hemisphere.
So sea levels rise by 10 feet? Looks like all the rich guys like Tiger Woods in Florida will have to build ugly sea walls soon.
Does look like they will have decades to build those walls however.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 May 2014 15:31 #34 by LadyJazzer
Gee, I didn't know the Flat Earth Society was having its weekly meeting...I didn't get the memo..

:OhNo:

13 May 2014 16:04 #35 by Martin Enterprises

13 May 2014 18:39 #36 by LOL
Did they get unstuck yet? Hope they don't run out of Beer! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds