How many weather-related events equal clilmate change

13 Aug 2010 18:14 #1 by daisypusher

NEW YORK (AP) - Floods, fires, melting ice and feverish heat: From smoke-choked Moscow to water-soaked Iowa and the High Arctic, the planet seems to be having a midsummer breakdown. It's not just a portent of things to come, scientists say, but a sign of troubling climate change already under way.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20100813/D9HIEVCG0.html

Answer: Any number as long as change equals warming. Apparently, the climate is warming (they did not cite any colder temperatures) due to weather, but I missed it here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2010 21:03 #2 by LadyJazzer
Yeah, a piece of Greenland, 4 times the size of Manhattan, and approximately 100 miles square on a side just broke off and is headed for the shipping lanes... Must be pure coincidence...

13 Aug 2010 21:59 #3 by daisypusher
Or it is summer in Greenland and glaciers calf.

Snow in Brazil, below zero Celsius in the River Plate and tropical fish frozen

For a second day running it snowed Wednesday in Southern Brazil and in twelve of Argentina’s 24 provinces including parts of Buenos Aires as a consequence of the polar front covering most of the continent’s southern cone with zero and below zero temperatures.

http://en.mercopress.com/2010/08/05/snow-in-brazil-below-zero-celsius-in-the-river-plate-and-tropical-fish-frozen

No weather crisis should be excluded. If we are "changing", articles about change should include global-warming, I mean climate-change related cold weather... Now this panics me..... Tropical fish freezing seems more unusual than glaciers producing icebergs. There may be no more tropical fish if this trend continues.

I wonder if there are any official climate change thermometers in the areas affected by this cold weather and if so, if a reading will be taken during this time frame and what weight factor or statistical transformation will be applied. IMWTK.

14 Aug 2010 00:43 #4 by ScienceChic
It's not how many, it's that each event has been predicted by the models. It means that the models deserve more credit than they've been given and the predictions should be paid attention to for future planning.
http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/news/l ... edictions/
The weather-related cataclysms of July and August fit patterns predicted by climate scientists, the Geneva-based World Meteorological Organization says — although those scientists always shy from tying individual disasters directly to global warming.

Meteorologists say 17 nations have recorded all-time-high temperatures in 2010, more than in any other year.

Salvano Briceno of the U.N.’s International Strategy for Disaster Reduction pointed to aggravating factors in the latest climate catastrophes: China’s failure to stem deforestation, contributing to its deadly mudslides; Russia’s poor forest management, feeding fires; and the settling of poor Pakistanis on flood plains and dry riverbeds in the densely populated country, squatters’ turf that suddenly turned into torrents.

“The IPCC has already identified the influence of climate change in these disasters. That’s clear,” Briceno said. “But the main trend we need to look at is increasing vulnerability, the fact we have more people living in the wrong places, doing the wrong things.”

Daisypusher wrote: Or it is summer in Greenland and glaciers calf.

Snow in Brazil, below zero Celsius in the River Plate and tropical fish frozen

For a second day running it snowed Wednesday in Southern Brazil and in twelve of Argentina’s 24 provinces including parts of Buenos Aires as a consequence of the polar front covering most of the continent’s southern cone with zero and below zero temperatures.

http://en.mercopress.com/2010/08/05/sno ... ish-frozen

No weather crisis should be excluded. If we are "changing", articles about change should include global-warming, I mean climate-change related cold weather... Now this panics me..... Tropical fish freezing seems more unusual than glaciers producing icebergs. There may be no more tropical fish if this trend continues.

I wonder if there are any official climate change thermometers in the areas affected by this cold weather and if so, if a reading will be taken during this time frame and what weight factor or statistical transformation will be applied. IMWTK.

This fits too - more extreme weather events going in the opposite direction of cold temps too.
http://ipccinfo.com/extreme.php
Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report
Issued November 17th
Key Passages:

"Advances since the TAR [Third Assessment Report] show that discernible human influences extend beyond average temperature to other aspects of climate.

"Human influences have:

* very likely contributed to sea level rise during the latter half of the 20th century
* likely contributed to changes in wind patterns, affecting extra-tropical storm tracks and temperature patterns
* likely increased temperatures of extreme hot nights, cold nights and cold days
* more likely than not increased risk of heat waves, area affected by drought since the 1970s and frequency of heavy precipitation events."

This story happened about the same time last year:
http://www.peruviantimes.com/climate-ch ... ear/133673
Climate change: intense cold front has killed 20,000 alpaca in Puno so far this year
August 13, 2009 by anniether

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Aug 2010 11:17 #5 by major bean
The earth's axis wobbles. It completes one wobble every 24,000 years (approx.) The past fluctuations of ice ages and warming coincide with this wobble.

Regards,
Major Bean

15 Aug 2010 12:24 #6 by LadyJazzer
I love how the game is played:

A) "There is no global-warming"...
This is particularly fun every year at winter time. The usual winter conditions and snow merely prove their point. And in the summer time when glaciers and ice-shelves are melting and breaking off. Of course, when you provide the evidence to show that the glaciers and polar caps are melting, that the eco-system, both oceanic and land-based, is totally messed up, then they move to:

B) "Well, I'll admit that the warming is happening, but it's not man-made or the result of CO2...It's just a normal cycle."

When you show proof of that then, they recycle to A)... (It must be tough to remember which cycle-of-denial they are currently in...But the show must go on.)

15 Aug 2010 12:42 #7 by daisypusher
Start another thread, it you want to rant against nothing said here.

15 Aug 2010 13:14 #8 by LadyJazzer
I don't need to... It was in response to the post just above mine...

But thanks so much for offering.

15 Aug 2010 21:15 #9 by daisypusher
If I am not mistaken, the prediction for here was more heat and less rain. That did not happen this year. And by definition, our nice weather this year is due to Global warming. Moscow gets a 100 year cold snap, that will be attributed to warming as well. All weather on the planet is how it is this year - due to global warming. People, news stories must not pick and choose. Do you not see the out of control butterfly effect here? If we were cooling, the weather patterns would change as well and all weather would be due to global cooling. What is the point - to promote more biofuels so that the tropical nations are justified in clear cutting more rain forest to produce palm oil? To transfer wealth to developing countries so the UN and world bank can control their water supplies? Or to attempt to push Cap & Tade? I am back to thinking of the useful idiot. Perhaps more news and information on advances in/application of alternative energy (not biolfuels) or conservation. Building our economy so that people can afford higher energy costs. Instead it is panic people with the end of the world as we know it weather. It was a nice weekend here - thanks to global warming. :sunshine:

15 Aug 2010 22:01 #10 by LadyJazzer
Another one who hasn't figured out that "weather" does NOT equal "climate-change."

I can hardly wait for the first snow so you can run outside and say, "See! The climate isn't changing..."

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds