How many weather-related events equal clilmate change

16 Aug 2010 07:46 #11 by FredHayek
Trends are more important than extreme weather events. And it does look like heat levels have been rising as a trend for the last 15 years.

Greenland, the last big iceberg like that came off in the 60's and people weren't running around like Chicken Little back then.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Aug 2010 19:35 #12 by Residenttroll returns

LadyJazzer wrote: I love how the game is played:

A) "There is no global-warming"...
This is particularly fun every year at winter time. The usual winter conditions and snow merely prove their point. And in the summer time when glaciers and ice-shelves are melting and breaking off. Of course, when you provide the evidence to show that the glaciers and polar caps are melting, that the eco-system, both oceanic and land-based, is totally messed up, then they move to:

B) "Well, I'll admit that the warming is happening, but it's not man-made or the result of CO2...It's just a normal cycle."

When you show proof of that then, they recycle to A)... (It must be tough to remember which cycle-of-denial they are currently in...But the show must go on.)

But she is still using gasoline and coal electricity.

19 Aug 2010 05:38 #13 by HEARTLESS
There is the key, residenttroll, do as they say, not as they do.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

19 Aug 2010 23:37 #14 by Residenttroll returns
Exactly, do as they say, not as they do, but hand them your wallet too as they know what's best for you.

20 Aug 2010 01:49 #15 by ScienceChic
Hold those thoughts, I'm working on a reply! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Aug 2010 09:16 #16 by V_A

LadyJazzer wrote: Yeah, a piece of Greenland, 4 times the size of Manhattan, and approximately 100 miles square on a side just broke off and is headed for the shipping lanes... Must be pure coincidence...

This is not an historic event, it is a recent even that is being used by global warming people.

I don't doubt the earth is going through a warmer than normal trend, but normal is measuring the last 20-30 years. We have no records for the past 10,000 years or million years. In my opinion normal is not well defined and global warming is as defined today is just a minor blip in history.

My opinion doesn't mean we shouldn't recycle, etc. We should always strive to be better stewards of the planet.

20 Aug 2010 09:39 #17 by LadyJazzer
I love how the game is played:

A) "There is no global-warming"...
This is particularly fun every year at winter time. The usual winter conditions and snow merely prove their point. And in the summer time when glaciers and ice-shelves are melting and breaking off. Of course, when you provide the evidence to show that the glaciers and polar caps are melting, that the eco-system, both oceanic and land-based, is totally messed up, then they move to:

B) "Well, I'll admit that the warming is happening, but it's not man-made or the result of CO2...It's just a normal cycle."

When you show proof of that then, it recycles to A)... (It must be tough to remember which cycle-of-denial they are currently in...But the show must go on.)

20 Aug 2010 10:09 #18 by V_A
LJ, at the end of the day you must be worn out from dancing around the sky falling all day.

Remember in the 60's & 70's and early 80's how everyone thought we were entering an ice age because it was cooler and the winters were worse than anyone can remember? Doubtful, since all you can see is the sky falling.

We should all do our part to be good stewards, but please consider our scientist understand about .01% of the history of weather cycles on this planet.

20 Aug 2010 10:15 #19 by LadyJazzer
So, we're in "B)".... Got it.

20 Aug 2010 10:21 #20 by V_A
Yep your right LJ, as always your right. Don't ever consider you could be wrong.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds