wood stove regulations

07 Apr 2014 11:07 #21 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic wood stove regulations

whitegp wrote: I'm with Blazer Bob on this.
I think that the very process of gathering, splitting, storing and then burning wood has a tendency to spark greater interest in the efficiency of the whole process.
This contrasts with the turn the dial up majority of America. Until the utility bill shock gets their attention. Then when that guy goes out to get a wood stove it would be better if the stove had at least minimum standards. Chances are he will not do his home work.

It is sad that in this age a green home means 2x6 construction. Air Infiltration is never mentioned.

As the saying goes - The houses in America face neither North, South, East or West.
They face the road.

When I told an appraiser that the house had a primary heat source of Passive Solar with some secondary active Solar she replied "you don't have any heat source?"
She took a look at the stove and put in the appraisal that the house had wood heat.
I told the appraisal company to send someone competent.

So anyway I have been interested in Masonary stoves, an age old design from Europe that unfortunatly requires a master Mason. How these EPA regs will impact the owner built will be interesting.

http://www.tempcast.com/index.html
This is an outfit in Colorado that sells the guts of a Masonary Heater and then you face it with whatever suits. This is unfortunatly only realistic in a new build.

:YeahThat: and I am with whitegp on this. Masonry heaters are da bomb.

As of 2 or 3 years ago there was a mason in Ft. Collins that built custom masonry heaters. He had all the quals to be certified by the http://www.mha-net.org/ except for submiting the package.

If anyone is interested, contact me and I will find the specifics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Apr 2014 20:14 #22 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic wood stove regulations
I like the idea of masonry heaters as they hold and release heat into the rooms if you are going to have a woodstove or comp.

But once again wouldn't it make more sense to buy a home that has more windows on the south side where the main family activity is, not excessive windows as some prows have where people bake during the winter, and fewer on the north side even if you buy one with 2x4 instead of 2x6 construction and not have much need for most forms of heat, especially in Colorado?

There are a few builders who do give a lot of thought about use of passive solar in their design even in Burland. However, well problems are another issue.

24 Jun 2014 17:44 #23 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic wood stove regulations
Missouri says no to regulation of wood-burning heating appliances by EPA

http://www.examiner.com/article/missour ... ces-by-epa

24 Jun 2014 18:06 #24 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic wood stove regulations
If you like your current wood stove in Missouri, you can keep it. Period. LOL

No EPA police thugs sniffing your chimney.

Nice to see one state pushing back for once, bout time. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm guessing Boulder will be next to fight back. :)

Do they even have wood stoves in Boulder? Or catalytic converters on all the Reefer devices?

:rofllol

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 4.386 seconds