wood stove regulations

05 Apr 2014 08:07 #1 by Blazer Bob
I picked a bad decade to retire. LOL If this sticks it is raining $ on the wood heat industry.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04 ... gulations/

"A federal proposal requiring more efficiency from wood-burning stoves has ignited a debate between the Obama administration and lawmakers who oppose the new regulations, arguing the rules impose an unfair burden on people in remote areas.

The Environmental Protection Agency proposed a rule changes in January that would dramatically tighten emissions requirements on new wood-powered heaters, though does not impact ones already in homes.

The EPA estimates that as much as 13 percent of all soot pollution in the U.S. is a result of inefficient wood-fired stoves and boilers.

The dispute pits several mostly urban states, mainly in the northeast, against some rural states such as South Dakota, which says the rules would impose an unfair burden on people in remote areas. About one in four South Dakota homes has a fireplace or wood stove."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Apr 2014 09:26 #2 by OmniScience
Replied by OmniScience on topic wood stove regulations
This isn't anything new. In fact, I may have posted something about this a couple months ago. The EPA is once again changing rules to justify it's existence and the government grasping for more control. Wood is a renewable resource and the vast majority of new wood burning stoves (Jotul, Vermont Castings, etc) are already in compliance with local and regional emission standards. Current wood stoves are vastly more efficient than they were 20 years ago.

05 Apr 2014 10:12 #3 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic wood stove regulations
Will the new woodstoves come with a check engine light and O2 sensor, and a 50,000 Log warranty?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

05 Apr 2014 10:47 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic wood stove regulations
Just like when you have east coast people deciding Colorado needs more Wilderness Areas.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Apr 2014 12:04 #5 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic wood stove regulations

LOL wrote: Will the new woodstoves come with a check engine light and O2 sensor, and a 50,000 Log warranty?

Around 30 years ago my wife and I toured a new condo or maybe townhouse development in Cherry Creek. The fireplaces has a light that came on for no burn days. Really.

05 Apr 2014 13:44 #6 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic wood stove regulations
More of the sky is falling sensationalism about the proposed new rules. In reality the new stoves meet and often times exceed the proposed requirements. Everyone I know likes to breath clean air.

The manufacture of the stove I have even endorses the new regulations.
Clicky

05 Apr 2014 14:03 #7 by Blazer Bob

gmule wrote: More of the sky is falling sensationalism about the proposed new rules. In reality the new stoves meet and often times exceed the proposed requirements. Everyone I know likes to breath clean air.

The manufacture of the stove I have even endorses the new regulations.
Clicky

Unintended consequences g. If it does skew production towards cat stoves we will end up with dirtier air. A lot of people kill their cats and do not replace them. Many more never engage them which lets the stove burn like it is 1920, ie a box with fire in it.

"LePage also said another concern is that the EPA's proposal does not distinguish between catalytic and noncatalytic wood stoves, which produce different smoke emissions. He said the agency could eliminate noncatalytic stoves by holding both types to the same standard."

05 Apr 2014 14:42 #8 by gmule
I think once people get used to the new stoves they will not want to go back. When I installed mine I noticed a huge difference in the amount of wood consumption. What my old stove burned in 1 hour lasts 8 hours in my new stove. That saves me time and effort cutting and splitting wood and I can heat 24X7 without feeling like I am always tending to the stove.
I know cost is going to be an issue not everyone will be pleased with a 3k price tag and I'll admit it was a tough pill to swallow myself when I bought it. I can say that since I have installed this stove I have not purchased any propane or ran my furnace in 3 years. The propane spike the last couple of months definitely made me happy about my decision to buy the new stove.

As far as people replacing the cat when required. heating performance drops off when the cat needs to be replaced and if they do not engage the cat you will chew through the wood

05 Apr 2014 16:22 #9 by Blazer Bob

gmule wrote: I think once people get used to the new stoves they will not want to go back. When I installed mine I noticed a huge difference in the amount of wood consumption. What my old stove burned in 1 hour lasts 8 hours in my new stove. That saves me time and effort cutting and splitting wood and I can heat 24X7 without feeling like I am always tending to the stove.
I know cost is going to be an issue not everyone will be pleased with a 3k price tag and I'll admit it was a tough pill to swallow myself when I bought it. I can say that since I have installed this stove I have not purchased any propane or ran my furnace in 3 years. The propane spike the last couple of months definitely made me happy about my decision to buy the new stove.

As far as people replacing the cat when required. heating performance drops off when the cat needs to be replaced and if they do not engage the cat you will chew through the wood

Yet they don't. Even if the buyer knows of the maintenance requirements to inspect and clean the cat many do not. When a house sells that information rarely passes down.

Too be fair many folks do not call until they have a problem. Therefor there could me many more educated and motivated cat users like you than I have experienced.

PS congrats on heating with wood. I had customer whose furnace rusted in place from disuse.

05 Apr 2014 21:49 #10 by gmule

BlazerBob wrote:

gmule wrote: I think once people get used to the new stoves they will not want to go back. When I installed mine I noticed a huge difference in the amount of wood consumption. What my old stove burned in 1 hour lasts 8 hours in my new stove. That saves me time and effort cutting and splitting wood and I can heat 24X7 without feeling like I am always tending to the stove.

Yet they don't. Even if the buyer knows of the maintenance requirements to inspect and clean the cat many do not. When a house sells that information rarely passes down.

Too be fair many folks do not call until they have a problem. Therefor there could me many more educated and motivated cat users like you than I have experienced.

PS congrats on heating with wood. I had customer whose furnace rusted in place from disuse.

With forums like www.firewoodhoardersclub.com
And www.hearth.com there are a lot more educated burners than you might think

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds