Is every speed limit too low

06 Aug 2014 17:21 #61 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Is every speed limit too low
I see the point you guys are making on both sides, and the section of highway where Morrison officers bust so many people is also the only area where I've gotten more than one ticket. Over the years I've just adjusted my desire to push that limit and I'm sure it has cost me an extra 30 seconds of my life each time. Otherwise, I'm satisfied with the rest of the 285 speed limits, especially since I drove the stretch from Morrison to Conifer when it was real slow and so much was only two lanes. Now that was hell, especially on the weekends with all the morons from Denver.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2014 20:15 #62 by pacamom

Nobody that matters wrote:

pacamom wrote: What defines an average driver? And what defines exceeding the normal flow of traffic by a large margin?

I would like to find out what kind of driver I am. Can you tell me where I can take that test to find out where I rank? I wonder what type of person I would be ranked against?

We can rank all drivers against my benchmark. Y'all will naturally fall short of my mark, but it'll give you something to shoot for. :biggrin:

Come on down to PPIR on the 23rd. Let's see what your benchmark is. Then I know what to strive for.

(BTW- I love that every single post I make results in me getting another KARMA shot. Good thing I don't post too often.)

06 Aug 2014 20:41 #63 by swansei
:cheer: pacamom, when I see negative karma it just says you struck a nerve. Keep up the good work.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

06 Aug 2014 22:01 #64 by Mtn Gramma

pacamom wrote: (BTW- I love that every single post I make results in me getting another KARMA shot. Good thing I don't post too often.)

Agreed. I didn't post for a week but got Karma punished 4 times in that time. Whoever doesn't have the courage to disagree just gets to smack with Karma points -- pretty chickens**t to my way of thinking.

Thanks, SC, for providing this opportunity for pettiness.

06 Aug 2014 22:22 - 06 Aug 2014 22:23 #65 by ScienceChic
Sorry guys, I haven't been able to get the extended statistical analysis package installed yet. If it makes you feel any better, mine usually vacillates between 0 and -4 as well, and I haven't come down on anyone in forever. :P As soon as we can take a look at the in-depth analysis, we will see if it is working on the whole like it should, or if it's only being abused by a few toward a few, and it warrants being pulled.

For a reminder on what karma is and how it's supposed to be used, please see this post in our new FAQ Forum: mymountaintown.com/forum/my-mountain-tow...hen-should-i-give-it

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

07 Aug 2014 06:29 #66 by Reverend Revelant
In regards to the "karma" points.

Why would anyone even care what kind of + or - points they are given/have. Is there some sort of prize?

The only time I have found karma points, up dings, down dings, likes, dislikes, twinkles or whatever some site calls their rating system to be a problem is when a bitchy moderator decides to ban members because of plus or negative point accumulations.

I don't think Science Chic has any intention of doing that.

So... ignore the karma.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

07 Aug 2014 07:11 #67 by pacamom

Reverend Revelant wrote: In regards to the "karma" points.

Why would anyone even care what kind of + or - points they are given/have. Is there some sort of prize?

The only time I have found karma points, up dings, down dings, likes, dislikes, twinkles or whatever some site calls their rating system to be a problem is when a bitchy moderator decides to ban members because of plus or negative point accumulations.

I don't think Science Chic has any intention of doing that.

So... ignore the karma.

If it is so not important, then why is it so prominently displayed underneath my username?

07 Aug 2014 07:39 - 07 Aug 2014 07:40 #68 by Reverend Revelant
Because the software that this site uses is a commercial package, leased by MMT, and that's where the software developer decided to place the code that displays karma points.

Science Chic has no control over where they appear. All she can do is either turn the karma off or leave it on, two options that she has already suggested that she is considering.

I'm not yelling at you or angry or anything like that. Forum point systems and user reactions has always been amazing to me. It's a bunch of bits and bytes appearing on a screen, placed there by users you may not even know personally and yet it becomes something that people just can't ignore.

I don't understand that, and no one has ever been able to explain the problem to me. Personally I don't let something like that waste a minute of my time, my psych or my esteem.

And I have already spent more time on it then I care to.

Ignore it.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

07 Aug 2014 07:52 #69 by Nobody that matters

Mtn Gramma wrote:

pacamom wrote: (BTW- I love that every single post I make results in me getting another KARMA shot. Good thing I don't post too often.)

Agreed. I didn't post for a week but got Karma punished 4 times in that time. Whoever doesn't have the courage to disagree just gets to smack with Karma points -- pretty chickens**t to my way of thinking.

Thanks, SC, for providing this opportunity for pettiness.

I think I've only used the karma once so far. Rating systems don't appeal to me that much as I prefer a more direct approach - I hit the reply button. Occasionally there is a post that I look at and realize that the tone and/or content is so objectionable that I don't bother to reply. That's when the rating system might come in handy. It can also be a good way to show support for someone that keeps their cool in a debate despite attemts from their opposition to turn it into a flame fest.

Looking at the counts, I think SC will find that it's just a few users having Karma battles with just a few other users. In that case it needs to go away.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

07 Aug 2014 08:08 - 07 Aug 2014 08:13 #70 by Photo-fish
I just bumped you up one Mtn Gramma. :P

BTW I am usually 5-8 mph over.
My wife grew up in Chicago and is a serious leadfoot. She always drives when we are downtown and I always drive in the Mtns. You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl.
If I ever need emergency transport to a hospital, forget the ambulance or flight for life, I know she could get me there faster.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds