Gotta wonder......

04 Dec 2014 08:47 #201 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Gotta wonder......

RenegadeCJ wrote:

ZHawke wrote:
I think you know perfectly well who the "regressives" are in The Courthouse. As far as what a "regressive" might be, think of it as being opposite of a "progressive":

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=regressive

If he is not guilty the fact still remains that he took the life of another human being. To profit from same is inappropriate as far as I'm concerned.

Why would I want to trade places with him? Sometimes, your logic appears to defy rational thought.

Per your definition: Regressive
Opposite of progressive. One who is opposed to women's rights, minority rights, universal civil rights, religious freedom, freedom of dissent, universal equality, and cares little to nothing for his fellow man.

In favor of widening the economic divide and eventual elimination of the middle class. In sum, one who believes society ought undo all progress made since 1920 and go back to the 19th century.

Currently in control of the federal government.

So, since Obama is in control of the federal govt, is he a regressive, per the definition you referred us to?

I don't believe anyone here believes in any of this stuff. Not sure why you are attempting to debate while first insulting those who just see the world a little differently than you to. Sometimes you can agree to disagree, but just calling names is childish.

Also, I don't consider him "profiting". He will likely struggle to ever work again without the threat of death. His life as he knows it is over.

:like:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Dec 2014 10:18 #202 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Gotta wonder......

ZHawke wrote: Nope - not even close. Have you ever felt like you were being ganged up on? That's what it feels like in The Courthouse much of the time because many of the posters here are more conservative. The posts come fast and furious, and sometimes are difficult to even keep up with, much less provide a reasoned response. I try to do my research and provide links to same. That seems to be a problem for some here. If you want to re-provide your post, I'll consider another response. If I remember correctly, your post was one of those more confrontational responses that I do tend to dismiss out of hand. If I was wrong in that regard, I'll admit it and apologize.

I'd like to address the first question here, if I may, because I feel it's a valid point. First, ZHawke let me apologize, because I've recognized that you are the current lone voice for a more liberal point of view (though I know that you personally are not a hard-core liberal, and that you try very hard to consider all points of view and find evidence to back up your claims in order to make sound, logical arguments), and because I've not stepped in more and participated in discussions, I absolutely know that it can feel like you are being "ganged up on" because you've not had any others posting who identify with you to keep you from feeling as if singled out. I promise once the Christmas Parade is over this Saturday, I will be spending a lot more time here, plus I'm working on bringing more traffic to this site so we have a greater, more active audience with a wider range of beliefs!

For the rest of you, I'd ask that you please consider his viewpoint - we do not have the regulars who used to post who were more liberal so when there are 5 of you who [mostly] agree going up against one who does not, it can feel to that one as being overwhelming. Not that you intend it that way at all, because to each of you, you are merely your voice adding your own thoughts - and I get that. But the first step in better communication is to put yourself in anothers' shoes and consider if their point of view is valid. In this case, I believe it is, but I also know that you aren't doing it maliciously or to troll. (Hummm Hummm <clears throat, does not mention any names> We all know what that looks like, and this certainly ain't it).

I recently witnessed an exchange on a Facebook group page where someone made a statement about Littleton not being part of Jeffco and several of us chimed in with all of the various areas that are in Jeffco, not to bash her, but to list our favorite parts of Jeffco and be informative. One lady took it as us "ganging up and bashing" and promptly left the group in a huff, even though there had been smiley emoticons and exclamation points indicating a light-hearted tone in the posts, and several of us tried gently to explain how we intended our posts, to no avail. Some people are just much more sensitive and take things personally, and it's not "their problem" that they need to just "ignore" those who make them feel bad - we can make an effort to be more gentle and understanding. It's not a bad thing, right?

As I say very often, it is very, very easy to take what is written in a more negative way because you don't see the other person's body language or hear their tone of voice online, or know their personality/sense of humor/etc. It requires that we step back from ourselves and not react with our first instinct to assume the worst and lash back, and that we not take it personally what someone else is saying to us. For example, when I read pineinthegrass's posts, I hear it in my mind in his voice as if he were reading it aloud, and I know where he's coming from so I don't see it as "attacking" or any other similar term, but that's because I've been honored to get to know him. We don't always see eye-to-eye, but I know how much he cares about this community, how much he volunteers his time, and that we want the same things for everyone, our home, and our country in the bigger picture - and that's what matters. Same thing for ZHawke - down to the letter.

That too, is where I have to apologize, because I've not felt that anyone here is trying to be "insulting" and I'm afraid it's due to the very tough skin that I've developed over the last few years - it's entirely possible I may have lost some of my empathy, and because of the unique position I am in. You wouldn't believe your change in attitude when you go from being a regular poster to owning and overseeing everything, having a grander vision for the site, and having the opportunity to meet so many in the community. One of the reasons that I requested you all explore other forums, and post in them and on each others' pages, was for yet another purpose I did not share before: it breaks you out of the narrowly-focused, contentious political arena, and forces you to connect with others on a more personal level. When we get to know each other better, it tends to mellow online discussions out some. Certainly there are some whom when you get to know them better, you develop even less tolerance for :biggrin: , but in general, the opposite is true. We humans are much meaner to those with whom we feel no connection, have not discovered mutual interests, and can more easily objectify. It's impossible for me to objectify anyone at this point because of the blessing that this job has allowed me to meet so many in the community. I would like to encourage all of you to share in that experience - come volunteer at events, at local nonprofits, join us for happy hours, mixers, or lunches! Trust me, you'll be glad you did. B)

Sorry to go off-topic, but I felt this was important to share. Yes, it's too long - expand your attention spans dammit. :biggrin: And again, thank you. Thank you to all of you who are here - you truly do make this site the amazing place it is, and I've heard from many, both regular lurkers and newbies who've just joined or members who recently come back after a long hiatus, how much they like the atmosphere here, and the information they get here. People come here to read your thoughts whether you realize it or not (4,500 unique visitors/month and steadily growing - means they are interested). You have the power to make it grow, and to make it a positive force in the community...use it wisely grasshoppers. LOL

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Dec 2014 10:46 #203 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Gotta wonder......

ScienceChic wrote:

ZHawke wrote: The posts come fast and furious, and sometimes are difficult to even keep up with, much less provide a reasoned response.

Yes, it's too long - expand your attention spans dammit. :biggrin: L

First to SC. WOW, just WOW. If you want to expand my attention span buy me some.

Second to Z. I submit it is not necessary to respond to each and every post. I certainly don't. If you try it, you might like it.

Third, I know I butchered the quote boxes of the two things I am remarking on. However I think I kept it pithy enough that even those of us with short attention spans can figure it out.

04 Dec 2014 10:52 #204 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Gotta wonder......

04 Dec 2014 11:07 #205 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Gotta wonder......

ZHawke wrote: In the "to be fair" category:

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=progressive

The difference here is that a "progressive" refers to him/herself as a progressive or liberal... Hillary does for example. Where as nobody I've ever heard of refers to him/herself as a regressive. To me the word is more in line with the word "retarded" or someone who is devolving.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

04 Dec 2014 11:07 #206 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Gotta wonder......

BlazerBob wrote:
First to SC. WOW, just WOW. If you want to expand my attention span buy me some.

You know I meant it jokingly, right. :) I get a lot of sh** sometimes for how long my posts are, and I don't think there's anything wrong with long posts, even though it goes against all conventional wisdom and "recommended" marketing practices (I don't do things I'm supposed to just because others say to do it that way - being unique and doing things differently is an asset too). This is just who I am, and I'm not going to hold it against you if you don't want to wade through it, but I will give you crap for not just cuz I get crap for putting it out there that way. :P

I agree on not needing to respond to every post as well. Good advice. Nor do we need to hold each others' feet to the fire should someone decide not to answer a question, or provide sources to back up their claims. If they don't, they just don't. It's their choice, we can't force each other to respond. It's telling when they do, I recommend leaving it at that.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Dec 2014 11:19 #207 by ZHawke

BlazerBob wrote: Second to Z. I submit it is not necessary to respond to each and every post. I certainly don't. If you try it, you might like it.

Third, I know I butchered the quote boxes of the two things I am remarking on. However I think I kept it pithy enough that even those of us with short attention spans can figure it out.

I'll try - not known for "letting things go", though.

And, yes, you did butcher the quote boxes - I tried to fix it in this one, though. :skiing:

04 Dec 2014 11:22 #208 by ZHawke

Rick wrote:

ZHawke wrote: In the "to be fair" category:

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=progressive

The difference here is that a "progressive" refers to him/herself as a progressive or liberal... Hillary does for example. Where as nobody I've ever heard of refers to him/herself as a regressive. To me the word is more in line with the word "retarded" or someone who is devolving.

I don't see it as a "difference". As SC tried to illustrate, the terms, themselves, can be used in both positive and negative ways. The only reason I started using the term "regressive" is in response to derogatory uses of the word "progressive". Personally, I don't like either word because they "label", or try to label, an entire group according to a very narrow description of beliefs and/or values.

04 Dec 2014 11:25 #209 by ZHawke
Does this make any sense at all to anyone else?

File Attachment:

04 Dec 2014 12:01 #210 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Gotta wonder......
You do realize that your attention span remark was at the tail end of your long post. So I must have actually read the whole thing. <can I get a wink emoticon here?>

On a serious note I do find that really long posts tend to be full of s*** in defense of the indefensible. I am thinking more of paid writers of op-ed pieces rather than us peasants. Maybe they are paid by the word. Two that come to mind are AmericanThinker(?) and alternet. Of course that is just my impression.

ScienceChic wrote:

BlazerBob wrote:

You know I meant it jokingly, right. :) I get a lot of sh** sometimes for how long my posts are, and I don't think there's anything wrong with long posts, even though it goes against all conventional wisdom and "recommended" marketing practices (I don't do things I'm supposed to just because others say to do it that way - being unique and doing things differently is an asset too). This is just who I am, and I'm not going to hold it against you if you don't want to wade through it, but I will give you crap for not just cuz I get crap for putting it out there that way. :P

I agree on not needing to respond to every post as well. Good advice. Nor do we need to hold each others' feet to the fire should someone decide not to answer a question, or provide sources to back up their claims. If they don't, they just don't. It's their choice, we can't force each other to respond. It's telling when they do, I recommend leaving it at that.

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds