Professor: Elf on Shelf conditions children to accept surveillance state

16 Dec 2014 06:52 #11 by pacamom
ELK? You'd need some pretty big shelves.

ScienceChic wrote: I knew there was a reason I never liked Elk On the Shelf...

P.S. This is your invitation to post wholly inappropriate Elk on the Shelf pictures. Bonus points to see how long it takes before it gets moved to the Ring. :P

Professor: Elf on the Shelf conditions children to accept the surveillance state

Further to this, The Elf on the Shelf website offers teacher resources, integrating into both home and school not only the brand but also tacit acceptance of being monitored and always being on one's best behavior — without question. [CCPA]

"You're teaching [children] a bigger lesson, which is that it's OK for other people to spy on you and you're not entitled to privacy," she summarized.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2014 07:01 #12 by pacamom
Attachments:

16 Dec 2014 07:15 - 16 Dec 2014 07:15 #13 by FredHayek
Pretty fun to ridicule. I did see one picture where the Elf was being waterboarded by GI Joe.
But I disagree with the premise, Santa already was watching you all the time. And you can't spell Santa without NSA. :canewink:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2014 08:06 #14 by ZHawke

ScienceChic wrote: It started only a few years ago, if I'm remembering the trend correctly.

I swear it was started by satan, or some other evil entity. otis, you had it right - it's torture for those of us afflicted with CRS.

Rick, I think ZHawke is messing with us!

Yes, yes I am - messing with you. :superluge: On accounta you started this thread with "Elk on a Shelf". Yep! That be me story, AAAARGH!

16 Dec 2014 08:39 #15 by Nobody that matters

ZHawke wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: It started only a few years ago, if I'm remembering the trend correctly.

I swear it was started by satan, or some other evil entity. otis, you had it right - it's torture for those of us afflicted with CRS.

Rick, I think ZHawke is messing with us!

Yes, yes I am - messing with you. :superluge: On accounta you started this thread with "Elk on a Shelf". Yep! That be me story, AAAARGH!

This wouldn't be quite so funny except I don't think SC has proofread her original message yet...

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

16 Dec 2014 08:54 #16 by RenegadeCJ

P.S. This is your invitation to post wholly inappropriate Elk on the Shelf pictures. Bonus points to see how long it takes before it gets moved to the Ring. :P

Professor: Elf on the Shelf conditions children to accept the surveillance state

Further to this, The Elf on the Shelf website offers teacher resources, integrating into both home and school not only the brand but also tacit acceptance of being monitored and always being on one's best behavior — without question. [CCPA]

"You're teaching [children] a bigger lesson, which is that it's OK for other people to spy on you and you're not entitled to privacy," she summarized.

I haven't heard of Elk on the shelf either....Elf I'm familiar with.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

16 Dec 2014 09:14 #17 by Blondie
from the first post. Someone with good photoshop skills could be entertained for hours

Rick isn't messing with you :caribouxmas :snobasanta:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

16 Dec 2014 10:00 #18 by pacamom
Attachments:

16 Dec 2014 10:02 #19 by pacamom
Attachments:

16 Dec 2014 10:03 #20 by ScienceChic
LOL! No, I hadn't even noticed my typo - thanks guys! :) Heehee, I'm gonna chuckle about this all day.

And I'm leaving it at this point - it's funnier that way!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds