Pope Francis: "One Cannot Make Fun Of Faith"

15 Jan 2015 07:41 #1 by FredHayek
Agree with Pope Francis's statement? I disagree. Lots of faiths deserve to be ridiculed, like Astrology and Scientology.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2015 07:57 #2 by Rick
How can the pope be an expert on every topic, including freedom of speech and economics?

On a related note, I was watching MSNBC this morning and Jose said that NBC (and MSNBC) will not be showing this Charlie Hebdo cover because it may be offensive to some viewers:

My apologies to anyone on this board who may be offended.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Jan 2015 08:29 #3 by Nobody that matters
My faith is strong enough to withstand the ridicule of others, without the need for retribution on my part. Guess that makes my faith stronger than both the pope and the radical muslims.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Jan 2015 08:31 #4 by Rick

Nobody that matters wrote: My faith is strong enough to withstand the ridicule of others, without the need for retribution on my part. Guess that makes my faith stronger than both the pope and the radical muslims.

:like:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Jan 2015 09:24 #5 by FredHayek
Exactly! If your faith is strong enough, you should be able to ignore the slings and arrows of the haters.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Jan 2015 11:28 - 15 Jan 2015 11:29 #6 by pineinthegrass
Here are a couple of more details...

Pope Francis said Thursday there are limits to freedom of expression, especially when it insults or ridicules someone's faith.

Francis spoke about the Paris terror attacks while en route to the Philippines, defending free speech as not only a fundamental human right but a duty to speak one's mind for the sake of the common good.

But he said there were limits.

By way of example, he referred to Alberto Gasparri, who organizes papal trips and was standing by his side aboard the papal plane.

"If my good friend Dr. Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said, throwing a pretend punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

But recently the Vatican and four prominent French imams issued a joint declaration that denounced the attacks but also urged the media to treat religions with respect.

Francis, who has urged Muslim leaders in particular to speak out against Islamic extremism, went a step further when asked by a French journalist about whether there were limits when freedom of expression meets freedom of religion.

Francis insisted that it was an "aberration" to kill in the name of God and said religion can never be used to justify violence.

But he said there was a limit to free speech when it concerned offending someone's religious beliefs.

"There are so many people who speak badly about religions or other religions, who make fun of them, who make a game out of the religions of others," he said. "They are provocateurs. And what happens to them is what would happen to Dr. Gasparri if he says a curse word against my mother. There is a limit."

www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pope-on-cha...-AA8cjxx?ocid=AARDHP

Sounds like them's fight'in words...

15 Jan 2015 12:06 #7 by Nobody that matters
If a magazine publishes something offensive, your actions should be to boycott the magazine, encourage others to boycott the magazine, and in terms we all learned in Kindergarten - "Use your words". Nothing a magazine prints can ever be used as justification for going in and shooting people.

If someone attempts to use their religious beliefs to justify the violent response to a cartoon, I would say they either don't understand their religion, or their religion is fundamentally flawed.

15 Jan 2015 12:42 #8 by PrintSmith
5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. - Rules for Radicals

The purpose of ridicule is to provoke, intentionally stir the pot, usually to generate anger or a feeling of helplessness in the person or group being ridiculed. The problem comes from not necessarily being able to control the response to the ridicule.

If you were ridicule a black person using an infamous word, would you expect them to be stronger than the slings and arrows of the haters, or would you expect them to act on the anger you provoked with your words?

If you call another man's wife a word that begins with a "c", would you expect him to be stronger than the slings and arrows of your words, or would you expect them to respond, negatively, to your provocation?

In our own laws we draw a distinction between freedom of speech and provocative speech. There are laws on the books regarding "cyber-bullying". We recognize the concept of "fighting words" in our laws as well, speech that is so provocative that we excuse a violent response to them.

Now, all of us, in our enlightened state, are not going to excuse a violent response to a cartoon, but it must be remembered that not every person is as enlightened as we are, particularly those that practice a religion which fines people $250K, imprisons them for 10 years and flogs them 50x a week for 20 weeks for daring to criticize the leaders of the religion.

16 Jan 2015 07:11 #9 by Nobody that matters
Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge.

They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours straight. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over.

He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out."

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better."

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished.

He stutters, "B-b-but how? I lost everything, yet Jesus' program is intact. How did he do it?"

God smiled all-knowingly, "Jesus saves."

19 Jan 2015 11:21 #10 by PrintSmith
FWIW, when I was a few years younger I used to play in an adult competitive soccer league as the sweeper and back-up keeper. I had a T-shirt emblazoned with the image of Jesus making a leaping catch and the words "Jesus Saves" below it that I wore before and after the games I was scheduled to play in the net. Still have that shirt somewhere . . .

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds