A "pragmatic" approach to gun violence?

26 Jun 2015 17:34 #11 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic A "pragmatic" approach to gun violence?
Based on that definition (I also researched just to be sure), how can you reasonably, logically, and without all the emotion you bring to the discussion say that neither Wright nor I have a clue as to its meaning?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jun 2015 17:45 #12 by HEARTLESS
Did you not read my first post? Both Jim Wright's and your statements, that I quoted, show that if someone doesn't agree with what you post, they are wrong or at least don't comprehend, hence your attacks on them. Realize, all one has to do to prove my points is read what you post.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

26 Jun 2015 18:30 #13 by ZHawke
How so? Your interpretation of what we "think" is your interpretation, nothing more. You've proved nothing.

26 Jun 2015 18:40 #14 by HEARTLESS
Why don't you and Jim Wright take your knee jerk, lunatic insanity and sell stupid somewhere else?

26 Jun 2015 18:43 #15 by Rick

ZHawke wrote: Did any of you actually read what Jim Wright had to say, or are these your knee jerk reactions? Please don't take that the wrong way, either. It isn't meant to be derogatory. It's just that these are the same arguments against doing anything at all that we've seen over and over and over again. All I'm trying to do is explore the possibility this might be something to consider.

I did read it and I didn't see anything that, in my opinion, would lessen gun violence by people who likely to shoot another person. Could you highlight some of the ideas you think would be successful and we could talk about those? He does a lot of rambling and makes many broad brush statements based more on feeling than fact.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

26 Jun 2015 18:47 #16 by ZHawke

HEARTLESS wrote: Why don't you and Jim Wright take your knee jerk, lunatic insanity and sell stupid somewhere else?

Fascinating. You've got nothing, so your response is to "ask" me to leave?

This is what I'm talking about. You offer nothing but the same old, same old. You have nothing positive to offer, so you use the same old talking points over and over and over.

Bingo, anyone?

File Attachment:

26 Jun 2015 18:50 - 26 Jun 2015 18:52 #17 by HEARTLESS
SOSDD. Can't read you own words without filling your Depends. Ask for a change and have a nice day.

26 Jun 2015 18:59 #18 by ZHawke

Rick wrote: I did read it and I didn't see anything that, in my opinion, would lessen gun violence by people who likely to shoot another person. Could you highlight some of the ideas you think would be successful and we could talk about those? He does a lot of rambling and makes many broad brush statements based more on feeling than fact.

Rick, thanks for that. At least you're being reasonable on this.

I'll take a look at it again tomorrow and provide some highlights. Personally, I don't think he rambled at all, but that's just me. The reality, from my perspective, is that none of us have any real "facts" to go on here. We're all taking shots in the dark so to speak. What I saw was someone who has a background and who has extensive experience with guns and gun ownership offering something as a possible means to an end. I didn't see him "pushing" his agenda or saying it would be required. It was an offer of an alternative to what's been going on thus far. Neither side has been willing to sit down and discuss the issue of gun violence face to face. Both sides seem to me to be more interested in dictating to the other side with no willingness to even try to work things out. I saw Jim Wright trying to offer some logic, some reasoning to the discussion. He even went so far as to state some things that have been tried (gun free zones, background checks, etc., etc.,) simply have not, and will not work. So his point, at least to me, is that we've gotta try something else...something that even the most pro-gun advocates would support because it comes directly from them and their organizations...that might, just might, help in addressing this issue.

26 Jun 2015 19:00 #19 by ZHawke

HEARTLESS wrote: SOSDD. Can't read you own words without filling your Depends. Ask for a change and have a nice day.

What a guy!

I will....have a nice day, thank you very much!

26 Jun 2015 19:39 #20 by ScienceChic

Rick wrote: I did read it and I didn't see anything that, in my opinion, would lessen gun violence by people who likely to shoot another person. Could you highlight some of the ideas you think would be successful and we could talk about those? He does a lot of rambling and makes many broad brush statements based more on feeling than fact.

Here's the part that I thought hammered home his concept (emphasis below mine).

Instead, drunk driving laws were intended to do two things, 1) give us legal recourse as a society, 2) make us responsible for our antisocial behavior – which in turn leads over time to a change in culture.

And that change significantly, measurably, reduced drinking and driving and provably saved lives and made American roads a safer place for all of us.

But, and this is important so pay attention, here’s what those laws didn’t do: they didn’t keep those of us who take responsibility for our own actions from 1) drinking, or 2) driving (note the operative word here is or).

And that’s the answer.

We need gun laws that give society legal recourse by making each gun owner/user personally accountable for their own actions.

Those laws should be designed to change our gun culture over time in order to make gun violence less likely. And, of course, those laws should not keep those of us who take responsibility for our own actions from exercising our Second Amendment rights.

There are no accidents. Every time someone dies because of a supposed accident involving a gun, someone is responsible and they are tried for that crime. Every time someone crashes their car and/or harms another while driving drunk, it's a crime - they chose to be irresponsible. Just like there are varying degrees of murder charges based upon malicious intent or "accident", letting a child get hold of your loaded weapon and killing themselves or a friend should get you arrested and tried for murder. Period. How many of those cases do you see now? When you start to see more of those, you'll see a change in behavior by society as a whole.

It's not necessarily adding more laws either, it's enforcing what very likely is already on the books. Hold people accountable - that's what makes for a civilized society.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZHawke

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds