Death with Dignity

05 Jun 2019 14:13 #51 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Death with Dignity
This appears to be another case of some media not bothering to verify the facts before reporting.

Het overlijden van Noa Pothoven / Death of Noa Pothoven

De Levenseindekliniek is approached from all over the world for a reaction to the death of seventeen-year-old Noa Pothoven. However, due to privacy rules, we cannot make any statements about this.

To put an end to incorrect reporting (in foreign media in particular) about her death, we refer to the statement made by friends of Noa this afternoon: Noa Pothoven did not die of euthanasia. To stop her suffering, she has stopped eating and drinking.

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2491354

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2019 15:07 #52 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Death with Dignity
Would you PLEASE vet your sources BEFORE posting.......Your assumption that redstate is
an accurate news site puts YOUR integrity (Collectively) in question. Medical Aid in Dying(MAID)
is a law that is long overdue and other states are being impacted negatively when shit like this is
laid down as the TRUTH.....you(collectively) are impacting peoples lives....literally torturing them
with your INACCURATE accounts. jmo

05 Jun 2019 17:19 #53 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Death with Dignity
Noa Pothoven, 17 y.o. was allowed to starve herself to death. Her parents, doctors and the state acquiesed.
Sorry, but in my world, this is child abuse in the extreme.

05 Jun 2019 18:19 #54 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Death with Dignity
It wasn't just Redstate, even the Washington Post reported this wrong and had to update their article with a correction.

Do you think her parents and the doctors should have force-fed her against her will ramage? What kind of a life would she have had? We know nothing of how long she suffered with her depression, anorexia, and trauma, who are we to decide for her whether she should have to live or be allowed to pass as she wished? Is force-feeding itself not a form of torture?

The euthanasia center rejected her requested for assisted suicide, they did all they could. We don't know what kind of counseling/therapy her parents had tried or not, maybe they had taken her non-stop of psychologists and nothing anyone tried helped.

Her story is tragic and I think we should focus on making rape a crime as severely punished as murder, and increase our efforts to help improve accessibility (and reduce stigma) for those who need mental health services. What caused her to make this decision is within our power to change.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Sep 2019 06:47 #55 by ramage
Firing of Doctor Sets Off Fight Over Assisted Suicide Law
By The Associated Press
Sept. 4, 2019

DENVER — After watching his mother die slowly when he stopped her medication, Neil Mahoney knew he wanted the option of ending his own life peacefully when a doctor told him in July that he had months to live after being diagnosed with cancer.

A physician was willing to help him do that under Colorado's medically assisted suicide law, but she was fired by Centura Health, a Christian-affiliated health system, for violating its guidelines on the issue.....

NYTimes.com 9/5/2019

05 Sep 2019 07:23 #56 by homeagain

homeagain wrote:

homeagain wrote:

ramage wrote: "Altogether, well over a quarter of all deaths in 2017 in the Netherlands were induced."

Death on demand: has euthanasia gone too far? Countries around the world are making it easier to choose the time and manner of your death. But doctors in the world’s euthanasia capital are starting to worry about the consequences. By Christopher de Bellaigue
theguardian.com Jan 22, 2019

As an active member of Compassion and Choices (for several years now), I would like to correct your terminology. It is MEDICAL AID IN DYING (MAID)…...and it is a choice that an individual faces at the end of their life. When a medical condition is irreversible and death is the prognosis, I ADVOCATE to graciously go on my OWN TERMS. It is my body and my choice to exit in a manner that is peaceful and pain free. I never understood WHY
we elect to do this for our beloved fur babies, but not for our human loved ones. IT is legal
in Colorado and it has been an uphill, unnecessary struggle to find the medical assistance,
when YOUR RIGHT to exercise this exit has been passed into law.

www.deathwithdignity.org/learn/access/

THIS is comprehensive and makes it clear regarding your rights in Colorado.....

The problem for the patient in the article was this.......THEIR choice of doctor, affiliated with
a RELIGIOUS hospital was the ROOT reason......those hospitals are exempt from the law.....their LACK of research and understanding of the law created the crisis.

THE FIRST question you should ask from you PCP is this......"WILL you support and implement my RIGHT to MAID...(medical aid in dying).....IF the answer is yes without reservation.....then you are good to go.....IF there is a nebulous response or an outright NO....
you MUST find a doctor that will adhere to your wishes, it's called SELF ADVOCATING.....the
first clue in this scenario was the doctors affiliation with the hospital, that was a BIG RED FLAG

11 Sep 2019 12:22 #57 by ramage
From Medicalxpress.com 9/11/19

"A Dutch doctor was acquitted Wednesday in a landmark trial that prosecutors and physicians hope will help clarify how the country's 2002 euthanasia law can be applied to people with severe dementia.

The doctor, who was not named in court, was cleared of any wrongdoing in carrying out euthanasia three years ago on a 74-year-old woman. The patient was given fatal doses of drugs despite some indications she might have changed her mind since declaring in writing that she wanted euthanasia."

Read the whole article.

It should be noted that the Dutch Constitution prohibits capital punishment.

13 Sep 2019 07:29 #58 by homeagain

ramage wrote: From Medicalxpress.com 9/11/19

"A Dutch doctor was acquitted Wednesday in a landmark trial that prosecutors and physicians hope will help clarify how the country's 2002 euthanasia law can be applied to people with severe dementia.

The doctor, who was not named in court, was cleared of any wrongdoing in carrying out euthanasia three years ago on a 74-year-old woman. The patient was given fatal doses of drugs despite some indications she might have changed her mind since declaring in writing that she wanted euthanasia."

Read the whole article.

It should be noted that the Dutch Constitution prohibits capital punishment.

Your point is.......? You have stated I do NOT supply opinions,only links.....it appears YOUR
thread is doing the same thing. WHAT is your stance on this nebulous news?

13 Sep 2019 08:40 #59 by ramage
The purpose of the post is informational. Many of the readers of this blog may not follow the news in the medical field.

13 Sep 2019 12:01 #60 by homeagain

ramage wrote: The purpose of the post is informational. Many of the readers of this blog may not follow the news in the medical field.

Did NOT answer my question.......what is YOUR view of THIS specific situation?

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds